I may have converted someone over to Apple laptops

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Imprezive, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Imprezive macrumors newbie

They already use iPhones and they actually converted me from WP7 over to iPhone... Now I may have returned the favor. They told me that they were thinking about getting a Microsoft Surface pro 3 and they sent me what they were looking for. I then told them if they are willing to pay 1300+ dollars for that then they should get the Macbook air and buy/rent microsoft office. To be fair though, I did tell them that they should use both in a store to see how they like interacting with them.

I just personally cannot see how or why you would pay that much for a tablet that can do things a computer does or as they say, "replace your laptop"

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

People can buy what they want, but please also respect others concerns and let them buy what they want.

I've used a Tablet PC before, with older N-Trig technology. I didn't like it (It was a nice screen to draw on, it just felt weird. A glossy screen would be a lot worse I'm sure.). Now the different pieces of software I use are too complex that to be efficient, I have to use both my Wacom tablet's shortcuts, the pen's shortcuts, and the keyboard. And honestly, I'm very prone to pressing the buttons on my pen when I don't need them, so it makes it awkward sometimes.

The Tablet PC has never won, and I think Microsoft just needs to stop dragging on with it. They have Windows Phone, and I believe that it could have been adapted to work great on a tablet environment. They chose to put all their eggs in one basket that is just Windows itself, and it's turning out to be a disaster.

If I was a consumer looking at those ads, I'd probably buy a MacBook Air too. Everything changes once you actually see both in person.

And I played with a Surface in a mall once and did not like it. Either did my dad who would probably benefit from having both touch and a keyboard.

Saying that... I use a lot of the same apps on both OS X and iOS. At the end of the day, I'm pretty happy just being able to VNC into my Mac from the iPad away from home - I change the resolution to match and it's fine. Since mine is the Mini, it also is a lot easier to deal with, even with a keyboard case. I feel very comfortable with the setup and don't lug my laptop around anymore because of it.

But people buy what they want and need, and I get that.

3. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I'm sure that Tim Cook will be sending you a thank you letter real soon.

The Surface Pro will appeal to some and not to others. Does it really matter what brand of computer anyone uses?

4. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

Always wondered that too. What is it with tech geeks (of any type or fan base) being so obsessed with the products other people use?

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

6. mwa Suspended

mwa

I've successfully 'converted' at least four or five people - if you want to call it that - and had no small amount of influence on many others... but I've never been pushy and I'm not a snob about it and I never, ever tell people what to buy. They ask me for my opinion and advice, and that's what I give. I explain the facts and let them decide.

I'm always careful to explain that if they value price over stability, by all means go to Wally World and buy Windows or buy an Android. If they want reliability, ease of use, customer support, better security, and higher build quality then save a bit more and follow the little apple.

It's not all about price. It's just some people value money more than others.

To a degree, I understand it - especially if you know that person and/or they're always complaining about what they currently use. But there again, there are ways of going about it that are obnoxious. Me personally it's just not something I bring up; I'm known as the tech guy in my social squircle so I invariably get asked tech questions. In the case of both of my parents, convincing them to spend extra for a Mac has been a huge relief on them asking me for tech support. Macs are much easier to use. Three friends who have switched have told me that as well.

7. Imprezive, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014

Imprezive thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't get me wrong, I suggested that they go with apple, but at the end of it all i asked them to at least TRY both in a store. Maybe they won't like interacting with the surface or maybe they will think I was stupid to suggest a Macbook air/pro. If they went with surface I would not hate them or bash them.

8. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

While I am primarily a Mac user, I also own a Windows 7 PC and an Android phone and tablet. I have had zero stability issues with Windows 7 and (stock) Android. Both are very good operating systems.

There needs to be a stop of misinformation when trying to sell someone on an Apple product. For example, state the benefits of using OS X's interface over, what most would call, a nightmare UI change of Windows 8 (and have them try it for themselves). Don't say it's not stable when it is. In using Windows 7 for over two years, I have never got one virus (or one crash). Yea there out there, but use common sense and you more than likely won't get any.

That's all I'm saying.

9. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Unless it's changed, Office for Mac isn't as robust as Office on Windows. I have Office for Mac and don't enjoy using it when I have to.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It hasn't :(

I've largely given up on office for Mac and boot into windows for my spreadsheet work.

11. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Access is a big one. It's not on OS X and I doubt it ever will be.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, I mentioned this in another thread and a poster said that its because windows has features or APIs that Access uses which OS X does not.

As for the OP, I like to think that Macs are a product and if you can show someone that it fits their needs, great. I'm not so sure about "converting" someone. We're not talking about a religion but rather a computer (yes there are people that take it to that level).

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think the issue is the Surface Pro is a lot people like to compare it to the iPad which is it is not. The iPad is really a media consumption device with a lower power processor and overall good battery life. Apple hopes you buy an iPad and then use all their apps further increasing your dependence on their ecosystem and revenue.

The Surface Pro is closer to a traditional computer with a traditional x86 processor, Windows operating system, and runs your standard applications. Microsoft has tried to make it a media consumption device as well to appeal to the mass market, but it's also a workhorse. You can create a lot more on the Surface than on the iPad. Yes there is a lot of productively options on the iOS platform now, but you have anything heavy duty, nothing beats a good old computer.

So the issue is once your get past the fact that the Surface is not the iPad competitor Microsoft wants you to think, you'll see it's better value than an iPad.

Now you've convinced your friend to buy MacBook Air; it's not an iPad and in fact it doesn't even share the same platform. But making the same comparison, the Surface Pro is better in that it's a better media consumption device. You enjoy using the Surface like your iPad and at the same time using it like your MacBook Air. Depending on your friend's needs, but blindly advocating the MacBook Air over the Surface Pro, you did not necessarily do him any good.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Meh, I usually do my best to AVOID situations where I might influence someone else's decision on what to buy. Too many times in the past I became the 'tech support' for such people since I gave my opinion. Switching from a Windows environment to OSX can be confusing for some folks and dealing with their frustrations is something I prefer to avoid.

I typically state what I use and why it is right for me, and leave them to determine what is right for them. I really don't care whether someone else uses Windows, Linux, OSX or anything else. Same goes for an iPhone v Android, size of a device, or whatever tablet someone else wants to use. My preferences are mine and mine alone. Everyone else should be able to determine their own needs, and if they can't they need to seriously consider if they need the product at all.

15. VI™ macrumors 6502a

It ususes .NET framework which allows you to use a VBA compiler backend. This is helpful when your computer is so locked down you can't really do anything. I made a program in Access that allows you to change your screen resolution with either a button in Access or automatically by putting it in your startup items.

You can also access data through Excel, Word, and others. They'd either have to dumb it down to a very simple DB program by removing all the coding abilities or totally rewriting it for OS X.

16. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

That's pretty much my position too.

If someone asks a question about Windows/OS X/Linux/BSD, I'll answer it if I can, but I'm not going to try to persuade them one way or another.

The only exception to this is someone I know really well, knows what he's doing around computers, and shares a common interest in Linux and BSD. I might recommend a distro I think he would like, but we both understand that any problems he runs into are his to solve.

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Win 7 is great while win 8 is just meh. You are commenting on win 8 won't actually owning it.

----------

Surface pro is just a keyboard less computer not a tablet. Most new win 8 computers should come w a touchscreen. The surface has a removable keyboard.

18. mwa Suspended

mwa

I always speak from my own experience - so when I've had troubles with every version of Windows, and I've also used recent versions of Android (fragmentation leading to insecurities being one of the biggest complaints I have), I explain that. Not doing so would be exhibiting Windows fanboy behavior, and being as I prefer Apple products but still present things as fairly as I can, I think I avoid that misnomer pretty well on both sides of the aisle. :)

yeah, common sense is a big deal with avoiding viruses, but even then they are pretty plentiful for some OSs and not so plentiful for others. Most Windows users also have to pay for AV, which isn't something most people factor when buying a computer. Heck, even Android users do better running an AV...

We sorta agree. :)

Sage advice...

19. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Too bad Macs can't run all software - this is a good reason to consider alternatives like the Surface Pro, I've thought about it.

20. mwa Suspended

mwa

Or use Bootcamp. Maybe not now, but a few years ago Macs were running Windows better than "PCs"...