I may have received a defective 42mm S/S BSB Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by nyc410, Apr 27, 2015.

1. nyc410 macrumors member

Has anyone who has already received their SS Watch experienced anything similar to this?

I think my Stainless Steel bezel is not smooth where it meets the sapphire crystal at the top of the screen and looks almost jagged.

I didn't notice it at first, but once I noticed it, I can't unnoticed it and I notice it every single time i raise my wrist because the light reflects off of those imperfections.

I received my watch this morning and noticed before it was even done setting up. I'm assuming it may just be an initial manufacturing defect, I hope i'm the only one..

I may call AppleCare (I have AC+, not that it matters in this situation) and see what they have to say.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Drew888 macrumors 6502a

Drew888

If I'm looking at the right thing, I've had similar on iPhones and iPads...

3. cforster macrumors 6502

Thats a bummer...

Looks like it did get minor damage during manufacturing, handling, shipping...

I've read a couple other posts of people who purchased the SS had this happen. The advice is to buff it out and it will be good as new.

Another guy went to an Apple Store just to be told its normal and it happens sometimes with SS and that was that....

I wouldn't like it and hope my SS that is due to arrive tomorrow will be ok. If you call Apple I'm sure they will swap it out for you but I wouldn't expect them to rush you a replacement because I don't think they do that right now....it may be a fairly long wait. But, I'm sure they will let you keep yours until the new one arrives...as long as you give them a CC to put a hold on it for the replacement until you ship yours back.

Just my 2 cents.

4. nyc410 thread starter macrumors member

Its only on the top edge, I tried looking at every other side in every angle of light I could and the other 3 sides are flawless

5. Streebs macrumors newbie

Whoa

I wouldn't wear that it looks absolutely terrible. I would be extremely angry and want to go slap a Chinese kid hard across the face for dropping it while packaging.

----------

Now it's time to admit you dropped it while trying to put on the impossible sports band.

6. nyc410 thread starter macrumors member

I don't think this is something that I can buff out due to its location. There's no way to put pressure on that edge since its a "continuation" of the sapphire crystal.

I'm in no rush for a replacement, I'd rather other people get their watches first as there is nothing functionally wrong with it, but I do hope they replace it.

I have had no cost Express Service Replacements in the past (a feature of AC+) where they put hold on your card, send you a new device, and have you send the defective device back.

I will call them tomorrow and see what they say.

----------

LOL, actually I put it on in my car so there was no place for it to fall even if it did. I actually find the sport band super easy to put on. Even when I tried it on, I had zero issues with it and still have zero issues with the band.

I see it ever single time I raise my wrist so it constantly reminds me that its there which is the only annoying part.

7. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

That's like the damage mine had and Apple are replacing it.

8. Absrnd macrumors regular

Absrnd

While with an iPad or iPhone, it could be considered normal and maybe not exchangeable.

The Watch is sold as a piece of jewellery, and that makes any damage or flaws unacceptable !
    I would make an appointment in a store !

9. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Polished SS should look smooth all over, if you run your finger over it, is it smooth? Just wondering if it could just be polished out, if it not smooth, send it right back.

11. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

It's very minimal from what I can see. I think it's probably one of those things that only you are going to notice, but now that you did you're always going to be looking for it. If that's the case, I'd just contact Apple and see what your options are. Either way enjoy the watch, looks nice!

12. Cutiekitty92 macrumors 65816

Cutiekitty92

13. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Still inform them now because if you leave it too long they might not believe that it came that way out of the box and your just trying to swindle them for a replacement. Least when they have it on record, along with perhaps photographic evidence, your will be pretty much guaranteed a replacement as and when they become available.