I may need a new screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by prospero108, Apr 4, 2011.

1. prospero108 macrumors newbie

A few weeks ago my wife was using her macbook when we discovered that she had been resting the screen over a small candle. Once the computer was taken out of the way of the candle we saw a small black mark on the screen but other than that no problems, however 2 days later following a small popping sound the screen went blank with only occasional flashes showing the computer was still functioning. I can see the screen using a flashlight and it can connect to an external monitor.
    Following research I decided it was the inverter so I ordered one and took the comp apart to discover that this model doesn't have an inverter thus I am stuck.
    Do I replace the screen or is there something else to check first?

Model Late 2009 macbook 6,1 2,26 ghz white MC207LL/A

Thanks for any help you can offer

Chris

2. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

It could be one of two things.

a) Your screen is bad. Go forth and find a new LP133WX2-TLG*, where * can be any number. LP133WX3-TLA* is also compatible, but brightness control lacks the last step, even though the machine does go to full brightness.

b) The WLED driver on your board is bad. That is a pain in the ass to resolder, and you're likely screwed unless you find someone good at soldering QFN packages.

See here

I like to assume A because you haven't actually opened the bottom up yet, and the problem occurred before you ever went digging into the machine. The WLED driver usually goes bad due to static shock. On the A1226/A1260 machines, you can literally destroy this part if your hand goes over it while the machine is on. No touching even necessary.

It also goes bad if you disconnect the LCD and try to reconnect it with the battery in. The board can't have power going through it when you remove the LVDS cable on a Unibody machine, or there's a very good chance you'll fry the WLED driver. It's all damn sensitive, and the lack of space/slack you get on that LVDS cable doesn't make things any simpler.

3. prospero108 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, I shall order a new screen in the next few days but if any one else has an opinion I would appreciate it...

4. prospero108 thread starter macrumors newbie

Further to my original post, I have replaced the screen but it does not seem to have done the trick.
    The computer still works perfectly well on an external monitor but there is nothing on the lcd screen. I replaced it with a brand new lcd of exactly the same make so I am left wondering what my options are.
    Any ideas?
    :(

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

That sounds like a bad LVDS cable or bad WLED driver.