I messed up my dock folder icons, and I want them back :(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CrackedPepper, Feb 9, 2011.

1. CrackedPepper macrumors newbie

So I attempted to customize some of my icons, mostly successfully, but I have a problem now with the icons for my Applications folder and my Documents folder, both of which I like to keep in my dock. Although they show up in Finder as whatever custom icon I assign to them, or as their original icon if I delete the custom ones, once I drag them on to the dock they change into what appears to be a stack of all the icons for what is inside each respective folder. It is very unattractive and I have tried everything I can think of to correct it, and scoured the internet for answers, but to no avail! Can anyone help me?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Right-click on the folder in the Dock and select "Display as: Folder"

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Thanks for that.

I noticed on my wife's machine the shortcut that is normally at the top of stacks that says "355 more in finder" wasn't there and I wasn't sure where it went. It was gone because documents and downloads were set to display as folders.

I just stumbled across another thing. There is a "display as: fan, grid, list, automatic" that is normally set to automatic but once you pick grid or list no longer displays as fan unless you force it to fan. Since I like fan, I have gone and forced it to fan. Recent stuff shows at the bottom of the fan and I can easily pick "355 more in finder" rather than navigating there from another finder window.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Automatic displays as Fan until the files won't fit in a fan, then it automatically switches to Grid. Neither Grid nor List will ever display as Fan.
    Recent items only show up at the bottom if you've elected to sort that way. You can right-click on the folder and look at your sort options at the top.

5. CrackedPepper thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much!

Wow! Such a simple solution to a problem that has plagued me for months! thanks so much! :D