I Messed up my iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by azscp, Aug 13, 2007.

1. azscp macrumors member

i installed some crucial ram in my iMac core 2 duo and she wont boot up now.

the power light just flashes

when i first installed it, it wouldn't recognize one of the new chips so i took it apart and tried again. now she doesn't do anything. she's lifeless and i'm about to throw the piece of **** off my desk.

any help would be great

2. cah87 macrumors regular

did you try putting it back to stock?

3. azscp thread starter macrumors member

yes but no luck there either

4. cah87 macrumors regular

hrmmm best bet is to call apple have you tried maybe holding the power buttone down for like 10 seconds while reverted back to stock? there may be something you could do there. but i would for sure call Apple tech support especially since they say upgrading mac ram you can do yourself....

5. Angrist macrumors 6502

Which model iMac?^H^H^H^H^H^H^H never mind

flashing the pram sometimes helps this kind of thing, hold cmd-opt-P-R at bootup, wait for the second bong, and release.

6. azscp thread starter macrumors member

20" 2.16GHz 250GB w/1GB ram

the fan turns on but it doesn't give me one bong. all the happens is i press te power button, i hear the fan, and the front light starts blinking in bursts. i've tried holding the power button down on startup and shutdown and nothing works. i'll try the cmd-opt-p-r.

7. azscp thread starter macrumors member

can anyone tell me if this is the correct tutorial for installing ram for my intel based imac?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303084

these instructions say not to use the ejector clips to push the ram in, but i see no other way. maybe the ram isn't seated correctly.

8. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

I've never installed memory in an iMac before, but I have on PC's. Looking at the instructions it looks like its the same deal. You may need to set the ejector clips to the open position and push the memory in again. It should go just the way the instructions describe

I know that it can be nerve-wracking to push on the memory as hard as is necessary, but that's the way its done. Just push it *straight* in (be careful not to tweak it by going up or down slightly) and keep applying force. You'll know when its in.

9. azscp thread starter macrumors member

problem solved.

i wasn't pushing the ram in hard enough so it wasn't seated right.

i hope this post helps the next guy and i thank everyone for their help

10. mrmma macrumors member

Well, it saved me an embarrassing phone call to Apple. I too was installing some crucial ram in my iMac and got the blinking power light...panicked, and then found this thread on good old MR.

Pushed in with gusto and worked like a charm.
    Thanks!