Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haroomph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
So I just got a macbook, I've only had it for a few weeks. Then my brother goes and spills soda on it. I clean it up and everything seems fine but a few days later a lot of the keys start sticking. So I looked up how to clean them online and did it myself with relative success. However after I pried off the space bar, I think I broke something, and now the space bar doesn't stay on very well. I have the apple coverage or whatever, but it says it doesn't cover accidents. Will the mac store fix, or at least clean my keyboard? The initial accident wasn't even my fault. I'm a new mac user, so I don't know how the Mac store people react to these sorts of situations, if they have any empathy. What do you think?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The warranty and Apple Care are not for accidental damage, whether it is your fault or not. Yes, they will repair it, but likely for a cost and perhaps even voiding your warranty for liquid damage.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Nocturnal22

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
So I just got a macbook, I've only had it for a few weeks. Then my brother goes and spills soda on it. I clean it up and everything seems fine but a few days later a lot of the keys start sticking. So I looked up how to clean them online and did it myself with relative success. However after I pried off the space bar, I think I broke something, and now the space bar doesn't stay on very well. I have the apple coverage or whatever, but it says it doesn't cover accidents. Will the mac store fix, or at least clean my keyboard? The initial accident wasn't even my fault. I'm a new mac user, so I don't know how the Mac store people react to these sorts of situations, if they have any empathy. What do you think?

Sorry man your out of luck they dont cover spills your applecare is now void so they will fix it but you gotta pay them to fix it. better charge your brother i would be mad as hell at him.

Haroomph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Any idea of the cost? And if they void the warranty, then will they never fix anything for free?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
It will depend on the extent of the damage involved, and without an inspection there is no way to determine that. If you are fortunate, it will only involve replacing the keyboard. Probably a couple hundred dollars including labor.

If the liquid sensors are tripped, then your warranty will be voided for sure. But the only way to know is to take it in and have them tell you. Our opinions will vary, as will user experiences at the store.

Good luck.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Haroomph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
a few hundred bucks?! Only a few keys are even damaged though, they have to replace the whole thing?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Yes, they will likely need to replace the whole thing
The keyboard + labor will be over $100 to be sure

Some have had luck with homeowners insurance policies covering some accidental damages

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Soda spills are rough

They contain sugars and other gunk, and go places inside the machine you can't readily detect
Left that way, they can corrode and damage the machine down the road

Only an inspection can determine the extent of the damage
Hopefully it is only the keyboard and nothing more

Accidents happen, but your brother didn't do you any favors with this one

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I will drop off here and let others respond to you, but replacing keys is not your answer. That is cosmetic only and does not affect the function of the keyboard itself.

Yes, there are others who can fix this for you, and you can even replace it yourself if you are so inclined.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

core2duo

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2009
They won't necessarily replace the whole keyboard for a few broken keys. They keep spares on hand, and have installed them for me on several occasions.

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny
You should have gotten square trade , there warrenty cost about the same as apple care, and they offer accident damage and water damage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.