I messed up my Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Julian91, May 7, 2008.

  1. Julian91 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 7, 2008
    #1
    Ok, so I spilt water on my Macbook. Probably the stupidest thing I have ever done, but its happened now so that's besides the point.

    I immediately turned it off and removed the battery. There was water in the battery compartment which was a tad worrying! I mopped up the excess water, then I took off the keyboard/upper case bit to dry up the water. I used a hairdryer and some cotton buds to get in all the nooks and crannies.

    After leaving it to dry for ages, I put the battery back in the tried to turn it on. What happens is it plays the booting sound for about half a second, then restarts, and does the same thing over and over again. To get around this I figured if I pressed the power button once to turn it on, then as the booting sound played I held down the button until the screen came on, it would boot up. However, the fan is constantly at a high speed. smcFanControl tells me the fan speed is apparently "000 rpm" :S Also my battery is not being recognised with a black "x" through the battery icon.

    iStat Nano says there are no fans detected, and also that it cannot retreive battery information. When I plug in my Magsafe, there is no light, neither green nor orange.

    I also get random prompts to shut down, with the "Are you sure you want to shut down?" window popping up all the time. When I do shut down, it sometimes restarts and restarts as described earlier. If I finally manage to get it shut down, it sometimes turns on itself when I remove the power supply, and also if I have removed the battery, it turns itself on when I put it back in.

    I know there's something seriously wrong with my macbook, I was just wondering if you guys have any ideas at all before I probably end up paying a hefty repair bill or even for a new macbook. (Aluminium? :D:D:D)

    Thanks.
     
  2. aquajet macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2005
    Location:
    VA
    #2
    How long did you allow it to dry? There might still be water somewhere that's fouling it up.
     
  3. 7031 macrumors 6502

    7031

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Location:
    England
    #3
    Sounds to me like the thermal sensor has gone, and the powerbutton circuit is shorting out.

    Give it more time to dry out. Have a look inside. Otherwise, I'm afraid you might be screwed.
     
  4. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

    tsice19

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2008
    #4
    Let it dry for another week or two.

    Boot it up and backup all your data to another medium.

    Reinstall your OS...

    and hope for the best.

    ----

    If that doesn't work, it's a hardware problem and up to you what you do to fix it.
     
  5. Julian91 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 7, 2008
    #5
    I left it to dry for about 48 hours..which I thought would be enough.

    Yes that power button circuit does seem to be causing a lot of problems, with it restarting and all. I don't understand why it turns itself on when the battery is inserted or the magsafe, and I really don't get why I keep getting asked if I want to shut down. :(

    I'll leave it for a week I think, then I'll assess the situation before reinstalling or giving it up to the repair people.
     
  6. bdj33ranch macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2005
    #6
    I would also suggest you:
    Remove the battery
    Remove the memory cards (need an 00 philips screwdriver)
    Remove the hard drive
    Instructions for removing memory and hard drive are in the little paper manual that came with your MB. It's pretty easy.
    Open your MB enough like a book (about 60 degrees) so it will balance on its edge - let it dry for maybe a day or so on the optical drive side and a day or so on the USB connector side. Maybe another day with the MB closed and battery side down. Finally with the screen side down.
    Reinstall hard drive, memory and battery and cross your fingers.
     
  7. jotamurray macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2005
    #7
    I know it's not the kind of thing you wanna hear now... but there is an insurance that covers liquid spillage. ( I have to say mine is not insured - but I have a keyboard protector - not waterproof but small spillage proof).
     
  8. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2008
    Location:
    Winnipeg
    #8
    mee two i got on off ebay for 8$
     
  9. TechGirl macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2008
    #9
    You did the right thing in removing the batter. My mother did this with her macbook and these were the instructions AppleCare gave her:

    Immediately remove the battery
    Turn the computer upside down so the water can drain out of the keyboard and won't go any deeper into the machine
    Let it dry out

    Hers was fine, thank goodness, thanks to quick action. Hope yours is too!
     

Share This Page