I messed up my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rolanddes, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Rolanddes macrumors member

Rolanddes

Hi guys. I wanted to replace the thermal paste in my Macbook Pro 15" Early 2011. I opened up the case as I did so many times before just to vacuum the fans.

But this time I removed the board and cleaned the CPU & GPU with Arctic Silver cleaner. Applied thermal paste neatly as described in so many YT videos.

I traced my steps back and closed the case. Now the computer runs but there's no light in the screen.

I know that it runs because I hear the boot sound, I see the fans running, I hear the click sounds when I hit volume up/down buttons and brightness up/down bottons.

So the only problem should be about the lcd screen. However, the lcd screen connecter on the lower left side of the board is neatly connected. I disconnected it and reconnected. But the problem persist. What should I do?

Thanks.

2. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

Maybe the cable or connector was damaged when you removed logic board? In that case I don't really know what could you do.

Have you tried fiddling with connector? Unplug it and plug it again?

3. Rolanddes thread starter macrumors member

Rolanddes

Yeap. That's the first thing I did.

4. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

Had a pretty similar issue when the I re-applied thermal paste on my 2007 Macbook Pro. Turned out I handn't properly re-inserted the connector between the motherboard and the magsafe board.

I agonized for a couple of days about how I had probably killed it, then pulled it apart and put it together again and only on the third dissassembly I discovered how you really need to push that connector in with a bit of force with both ends at the same time.

So my recommendation would be to do it all over again and make sure every connector you put back in is PROPERLY inserted.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Disassemble the computer again. A connector is probably not seated correctly as mentioned

6. Rolanddes thread starter macrumors member

Rolanddes

I will try this tonight. Thanks.

7. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Do you know if the LVDS connector was properly seated with the clasp fully down, as in the top-right of the first picture?

Also, have a look at the pins on the connector. They're quite fragile! If any of them are broken, the only practical fix is to replace the entire display assembly. It's next to impossible to change the cable. :(

If it all looks fine, however, it could be a problem related to the graphics chip. Improper paste application can make it overheat (too much or too little). Many would be surprised by just how little you're meant to apply to get the best heat transfer.

I redid my thermal paste 3 times before settling on a massive improvement in thermal performance. For the final time, I used an extremely thin sliver on the CPU and a tiny drop on the GPU. Anything more turned out to be too much. I used Arctic MX-4, by the way.

Apple applied way, way too much on these models, as you can see in the second picture.

And sorry to sound so negative; I'm obviously discussing worst-case scenarios here. Hopefully it'll be fine!

Attached Files:

8. Rolanddes thread starter macrumors member

Rolanddes

Yes that's the one on the top right that I rechecked and reconnected. But I am going to check the pins throughly tonight.

I am sure it has nothing to do with thermal paste. Becuase I also applied a real tiny amount.

Thank you very much for your help :)

9. austinpike macrumors 6502

If you look at it really closely and/or shine a light on it, can you see any image at all? If it is just the backlight you should still see a very faint image.

Does it work with an external monitor connected? I assume you don't have one readily available or you would have tried it, but that would be pretty useful info as well.

10. Rolanddes thread starter macrumors member

Rolanddes

Nope. There's no backlight at all.

I do not have a spare monitor but, I have a tv that I can connect to my MBP with an HDMI cable. If it runs with the TV properly, what will it tell me? I already know that the system is intact other than the LCD not working.

11. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

It will just confirm your suspicions that the MBP itself works, just the screen on the MBP is not working.

I think you could try resetting the PRAM and SMC, though I think they may not work. Worth a try before opening your MBP up again.

If that doesn't work, have a look to see whether the Display Data Cable is connected properly. It looks like this: [​IMG]

Disconnect it carefully and reconnect it. Also, make sure that all other connections are secured properly. Follow the iFixit guide carefully in reverse order.

Let us know how you get on. I think it's just a case of a loose cable, most likely the display cable.

12. Rolanddes thread starter macrumors member

Rolanddes

Thanks. Will do all of these tonight.

13. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

One thing to note, when dealing with the display data cable, make sure you handle it very carefully and follow the instructions properly as it appears to be very fragile. A slight moment of carelessness could save you bigger problems later on. Step 22 has the details on removal and it's worth having a look at the user comments for that step.

Thought it's worth pointing out before any damage is caused. :)

14. Rolanddes thread starter macrumors member

Rolanddes

Ok I will do that.

I just connected a secondary monitor (a tv actually) Computer runs fine. Theres no problem other than the lcd problem.

I will check the lcd connector.

15. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

I am going to be in this thread for update.

Though, I am curious on why you have to replace the thermal paste...

My 2010 MBP is still doing ok in terms of heat. I thought it was pretty normal for the aluminum unibody to get hot when the MBP is under some heavy operation.

16. Rolanddes thread starter macrumors member

Rolanddes

Hello everyone

I last night attached the computer to a tv and everything runs smoothly. That means the only problem is LCD. I will reassamble the components tonight. Will post here the results.

Thanks.

17. Rolanddes thread starter macrumors member

Rolanddes

As you guys said problem is caused by the lcd connector which I aparently messed up a little. One of the tiny pins on the male side is bent and broken.

So how can i replace it with a new one? :)

18. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

As someone else already pointed out, the cable is very difficult to replace.

Looks like you'll need to replace the entire display assembly.

19. rajivhifi macrumors member

Me too!

I'm in the exact sam boat as OP. I was trying to tighten the screen hinge and then messed up the same connector. Before reading this post, on a hunch, I connected an external monitor and the laptop functions fine.

How much would it be to repair it now? Also, if the price is formidable, what are my options to use this computer as a desktop alternative or a similar to a mac mini? Its a 15" 2008 2.53GHz/8GB/320GB.

Thanks and sorry OP to highjack your thread.

20. Rolanddes thread starter macrumors member

Rolanddes

Thanks. But in Ebay I can see that there's a product called LCD cable connector. And it show the exact defective part of my computer. Is there a way to just use this one instead of buying a whole LCD screen and replacing it?

Link

[​IMG]

21. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I have replaced that cable before. It's not hard as long as you can remove the glass on the screen (or bezel for anti-glare). Thats the hardest part of the entire cable replacement. It's a connection on both sides and not built into the screen.

22. rajivhifi macrumors member

I do not believe its the cable itself that is the problem, its the connector the cable connects to on the logic board thats messed up. OP has the picture of it in his previous post. From what I read, to get this connector onto the logic board requires good soldering skill.