I messed up! Please, need urgent help.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by 66217, Jul 1, 2008.

1. 66217 Guest

I've finished my page. I was trying it to upload it using Fetch, and it was a complete disaster.

Now it asks me to introduce a password when I try and enter the page thru Safari.

I had been able to upload my site just well when doing it in iWeb, but now that I hand-coded it I can't. What am I missing?

I appreciate any help.

2. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Can you give us some details, like what type of server you're uploading to, what type of settings, etc...? Seems like you're placing it in a password protected directory of your server. In fetch did you navigate to the same directory where your iWork site was, erase the iWeb files, and then place your files from your local machine in that same location?

3. 66217 thread starter Guest

I don't know myself. The person who knows about that isn't currently here with me.

I'm doing what you suggested, erasing everything and doing it again as I did it before. I only see one folder there which is named "\". Above that is a folder named "/" which I can't select.

4. 66217 thread starter Guest

Still no luck. I really don't know what am I doing differently from past times.

Is there any way to completely reset the server?

5. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Is it a shared server? Or a server on location?

6. 66217 thread starter Guest

The service provider is Crystal Tech. The person who knows about it has just arrived so I'll see if he can fix things up.

Now, I am also trying to see what could have cause this. Prior to hosting with Fetch I used Dreamweaver. But I didn't specified a path, since I didn't knew what to put there. Could this be the cause of the problems?

Also, how should my .html files be arranged in my site root? Do I have to put the index.html alone in the site root and the other pages in sub-folders?

Thanks a lot InLikeALion.

7. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

You probably needed to specify the folder. You need to have the index.html file in the root, and all the other pages can be there, too.

You can't try to "organize" the site at time of placing it on the server because if the file structure isn't the same as the time of development, most or all of your links and linked elements aren't going to work.

8. 66217 thread starter Guest

We were able to remove the password, but now we are having a bunch of new problems.:( Seems the solutions is going to be to reset the server.

As for my previous doubt: How do I specify which .html to open first. My homepage is index_3.html. Is it necessary that it is only index.html?

And yet another doubt: how do I specify the site adress for the other pages? My main one is, for example, www.roco.com, how do I make the contact page be www.roco.com/contact?

Thanks,:)

9. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

The easy thing is to name it index.html, and contact.html. The files themselves need to be named those things, and during production, so that your links work, ie <a href="../contact.html">, using the file names/structure.

I think there are some more advanced .htcaccess stuff that can rename the files, but you probably don't need to worry about that for this project. I'm not sure that learning it is even worth the time spent unless a specific project absolutely needs it.

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

In short, yes it needs to be named index.html. The server is setup to look for that filename. You'd have to change the httpd.conf file to look for anything else.

For the contact page make the href="/contact.html" which will make it look in the root directory for that file no matter what folder you mat be in currently.

11. 66217 thread starter Guest

Just wanted to say that everything is up and working now. Just give me a couple of hours and I'll make sure to make a thread to see what you think about the design and so.

I'm currently having some problems with IE6.:mad: