I messed up somewhere, please help. Mac only booting Windows.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Theone0581, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Theone0581 macrumors member

So I was trying to install windows on my Imac using bootcamp, and everything seemed to be working fine. I put in my Windows CD and pressed contenue, it then loaded me up to the windows instalation page and it told me that I could not use the Bootcamp partition to put my windows OP on, because the partiton needed to be NSF or something like that, so I highlighted the Bootcamp partiton from the menue, and then clicked the partiton buttion, after I had done that, it was then able to install winodows on that partiton. After the installation was complete, my Imac now only boots up the windows operationg system without any option to what opteratng ststem to be booted. What do I do?

2. Tarek macrumors 6502

When you turn your iMac on and the white screen appears, hold the Option (ALT) button on your keyboard and two choices will appear: Macintosh HD and Boot Camp (Windows). Select whichever you want to boot in.

3. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

If you also want to change the default startup disk to OSX go to:
    System Preferences > Startup Disk (under system)
    and select your HD which has the OS you want to be the default on it.

4. Theone0581 thread starter macrumors member

That worked perfectly. Thank you. This leads me to two more questions.

1. Will my Mac always originally boot up windows without pressing the Alt key?
    If so, how can I change that.

2. The drivers don't appear to be loaded on the Windows OP, any help there would be nice too.

5. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

1. Fix this as I described above.

2. Drivers are on your computers mac os instillation disc. Just put it in when you are running windows and the bootcamp driver instillation wizard will come up.

6. Theone0581 thread starter macrumors member

Alright so I decided to put this project off for another day, so I uninstalled Windows.

Now when I restart my computer, it still automatically wants to boot with windows instead of using the osx operating system. (without pressing Alt)
    So now it just loads up DOS.

How do I tell my Mac to just boot from the OSX Operating system without having to press ALT?

Thanks.

----

Never mind I done figured it out. The process was actually simple. I opened startup disk, and then selected the partition that mac os x was on and then clicked restart. Everything is now back to normal.

7. Theone0581 thread starter macrumors member

I just want to say thank you, you actually already explained what I just posted above to me. I just misunderstood your postings are all.

I set up Windows 7 on my successfully on my Imac. :)

8. gettractors macrumors newbie

Stop Windows from booting

Click on the little apple in the left top corner on your screen. Click on System Preferences, Start Up Preferences. Change back to Macintosh HD.

Then goto finder in the lower left (happy face). Applications, Utility Folder, Boot Camp Utility. Edit or Remove partition if you want it gone.

Good luck!