I might have been hacked! help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by remember, Dec 31, 2010.

1. remember, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011

remember macrumors newbie

The other day I was in on Stickam, a live stream video website. While I was streaming my webcam and chatting, I was messaged by someone who said they were going to hack me if I didn't comply with him or her. I decided to ignore them but have become paranoid because I was using my brother's computer and he has a lot of personal information on this computer. I no longer visit the website and have no reason to believe I've been hacked, but I'm still worried. I'm willing to Paypal $10 to anyone who can help me check for any suspicious activity on my computer. I know macs are difficult to hack. Yet, I've heard it's still possible. Any software I can download to find viruses to potential hackers? My internet connection requires a password to be able to use it and the stealth mode in my firewall was off when this happened. Excuse my computer illiteracy. Is it possible to hack my computer through a website like stickam? If so what are the implications? Can they access information on my computer or see what I'm typing right now? I have a Mac OSX 10.5.8. Please help! I will paypal you cash for help!

FYI I wasn't running boot camp or microsoft when this happened.

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

LOL Let me save you some money. Until there are signs that you have been hacked, you can assume it was a self-rightous prick messing with you. It's all a part of that Greater Internet ****wad Theory...

3. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

You have not been hacked. The person on stickam was an "Internet Tough Guy" and therefore harmless.

Free of charge.:)

4. remember thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it possible to do such a thing? To hack someone through a chat without opening any funny files or anything?

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

If the other person was the CIA, or CSIS, or GCHQ, then perhaps. We don't know what they can do, and they ain't telling.

Short of that, there are no known ways - afaik - to hack a Mac through a chat session. Any "unknown" ways wouldn't show up on a scan, in all probability (because at that point it would be "known" way).

In the incredibly small chance the Mac was hacked, it will be as likely to have been your brother's surfing habits as yours. And I would take that line if questioned. Happy New Year..... :)

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Not a chance, unless they're CIA etc. You're fine, don't be so paranoid.

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

You know, just because someone is paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get them.....

Rent "Conspiracy Theory" (iirc) with Mel Gibson, eh?

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Don't worry, I work for the NSA hacking into random people's chats all the time, and even I haven't figured out how to get into yours yet. You're fine.

For now.

9. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

not possible to occur through chat dont stress bruh

10. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Look at this this way, if someone says this often enough to different people at random on the net, they will eventually find one of the many gullible or foolish people out there who will believe them and go along with their outlandish requests.

The only "hacking" going on here is whats called "social engineering", eg instead of doing some computer wizardry to find out lets say your password or credit card details or get photos of you in the nude, they will convince you through words that you have to comply. (as in "do as I say or I"ll hack you".)

You have no reason at all to be fearful but please dont advertise you'll pay money for someone to check it out, as (a) its completely unnecessary, and (b) frankly that just makes you a bit more vulnerable, for example a miscreant could take your $10, tell you you have been hacked,and then charge you more money for doing some stuff thats not needed at all, or worse even possibly hacking into you via programs they would get you to install as a ruse.

As long as you didn't install any programs they sent you, you are fine, no need to be worried at all but perhaps better to stay away from places where such people lurk.