I might have melted my insomniac MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Verdanice, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Verdanice macrumors regular

I have a 2.4GHz Penryn MBP. It has a ton of issues, but it seems Apple's notebooks generally do. I have had heat issues, but nothing more than the usual (apparently).

Now, this morning, like every other morning, I unplugged my external monitor, closed the lid, disconnected my Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, and waited for the light to begin pulsing, indicating the thing was asleep. I then put it inside its case, in my bag. When I got to work an hour later, I took the laptop out to find that it had turned itself on, and was scorching hot. When I say hot, I mean I almost dropped it when I pulled it out of my bag, and the fans were doing 6000 RPM for sure. I immediately held down the power button - and let me tell you, even holding that metal button down for six seconds actually hurt. It turned off, and I pulled the battery out and let the thing air. The thing smelled like melted PCB. I'm on the machine now, half an hour later, and all is working well (or as usual, at least), so I don't think it did any damage, despite the outer casing hitting in the neighborhood of 110-120ºC - but I have to figure out a way to stop the damn thing from waking up from sleep as it pleases, this is not the first time this has happened. I just need it to 'force sleep', and not wake up until I physically open the lid. It doesn't seem that odd of a request to me. I'd really rather not have to shut down the computer each end every time I move it, that's a few times a day and my MBP doesn't exactly boot gracefully (but that's another story).

'Allow Bluetooth to wake this computer' is off, and that other setting - 'Allow wake on network access' or something along those lines - is also off.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thank you in advance!

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Damn, that's hot! I am not sure of what is going on but is there a reason it has to be ON when going in a case? I've always thought that sleeping a laptop when carrying it around isn't the best of ideas.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

If my laptop was doing this I'd just shut it down before putting it into my bag.

4. Verdanice thread starter macrumors regular

Sleeping while in transport shouldn't be an issue - the hard drive is stopped and locked, fans off, really there's no difference between sleeping and off besides the computer's last state being stored in memory and perhaps minimal processor activity. I could be wrong, but that's always been my understanding.

5. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

It should just work and not wake up. Even if it does wake up there should be some thermal failsafe that prevents it from "eating itself" with it's own heat generation.

So I would count that as two failures myself. First waking up after it was asleep for no good reason and the second for the SMC not activating a thermal failsafe.

6. Verdanice thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed, I once had my laptop forcefully shut down when my processor reached 96º. Apparently it's too asleep to prevent its own demise, but awake enough to cause it.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Disable the bluetooth manually in the top bar on your desktop before putting it to sleep, even with ''Allow Bluetooth to wake this computer' my wireless mighty mouse and mobile phone seem to manage to wake my MBP all the time when it in its bag, it drives me insane.

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I've had this happen on my MBP and my HP Tablet. Each time, they are very hot to the touch, especially since they spend travel time in the sleeve.

I've found I can't just close the lid and stuff them in my bag. Now I click sleep, wait for every thing to spin down and then close the lid and place in sleeve.

Cheers,

9. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Whats so hard about turning your laptop off before putting it in the bag? It takes what, 15 seconds to start up?

10. Verdanice thread starter macrumors regular

I may try that, you're right though, it drives me insane, I used to notive my mouse turning on my computer after I'd gone to bed and nothing was touching either one.

It takes at least 8 minutes to get the laptop back up and running with Firefox, Adium, Mail, Coda, and Photoshop open. My MBP is sluggish as hell with logging in, I do know why but that's just the case. Of course it's an option, it's just an unnecessary pain - it doesn't make sense that the laptop is able to turn on when the lid is closed, it just shouldn't be possible in my opinion.

11. edblor macrumors regular

I too hate when things do not work as they are suppose to. It's a huge pet peeve of mine.

My 17" CD 2.16GHz MBP goes to sleep and stays that way for me. And that is how it is supposed to work.

Having to find an alternative solution to an Apple problem seems silly to me.

Have you complained to Apple yet? Is it still under warranty?

It sounds like something is triggering to wake. What? Who knows!

G/L though.

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...even out of warranty, take it to apple as somethings not right with that...even my $399 netbook sleeps when its supposed to and it rides in a motorcycle with me (not the smoothest ride on these Japanese roads)...

13. TheScavenger macrumors 6502

TheScavenger

It can take the computer up to 10 seconds to write the contents of the RAM to the hard drive before the system actually goes into safe sleep. You will know the hard drive head is parked and the computer is in safe sleep when the white light slowly glows. Verify the white light is slowly flashing before you put it in a sleeve.

14. mcapanelli macrumors regular

mcapanelli

8 min does not sound right at all. Are you running any maintenance scripts? My old black macbook took no time to boot at all with firefox, Adobe C3, Logic pro, and all the other mac candy. My friends first gen pro is pretty quick to boot as well with just as much stuff. It sounds like a bloated registry from forced shutdowns to me. Add to that lingering temp files and your system can get really bogged down if you don't have a maintenance plan in place.

15. edblor macrumors regular

Regardless, even if it took 10 seconds to go to sleep, it still goes to sleep.

I think the issue is that it wakes up from sleep without opening the lid. It goes to sleep fine from what I can tell.

I think it is a software issue with what you have installed. 8 min to boot up with the necessary apps is crazy long.

Regarding a fix, how about a script that forces it back to sleep if it wakes while the lid is closed. Is that doable? It would eat cycles while the Mac is on, but...

16. animaxcg macrumors regular

i recall this happening to somebody else on the forum

it fix it from waking up do the following commands open up terminal
    Code:
    sudo pmset -g
    it will ask for your password
    this will show you the settings
    then type
    Code:
    sudo pmset lidwake 0

17. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

should have let her burn down, then u get a replacement for ur bugged out MBP lol

18. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

this just happened to me today. I happened to notice my laptop as a shared computer on my network.... when it was in my car, in my laptop back where it was supposed to be asleep.

Wrong.

I ran downstairs, pulled it out, and it was extremely hot to touch, and on, fans blasting full speed. Seems to be working perfectly and the fans slowed down after about 5 minutes and it cooled off.... by why would it do this? I'm stumped. I've been putting it to sleep in my bag since I got it in december. Its a new unibody 2.8ghz MBP.
    :mad:

19. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Happened 2 more times this week. I can't figure out why this would happen. It wakes itself up from sleep for no reason it seems.... Frustrating

20. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Hmm. While I've never had issues with sleeping my MBP, I've made it a practice to switch from sleep to hibernate when I take it on the go. It's a quick 5 second trip to Terminal to do so and eliminates any of these issues (awaking from hibernate can only be done by pressing the power button).

21. m85476585 macrumors 65816

After it finishes writing Safe Sleep data, take the battery out. That way there is no way it can wake up. When you start it up again, it will load the Safe Sleep data from the disk, and all your open programs will be there. It takes more time that resuming from sleep normally (maybe 30 seconds), but it is not nearly as slow as rebooting.

You could also try invoking safe sleep directly. I use a dashboard widget called Deep Sleep.
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/deepsleep.html
    When the computer is in deep sleep, it is basically the same as being off in terms of power management, so it is less likely to wake up.

Also, mobile Core 2 Duos are rated for up to 105C, so while 96C is not great, it won't do any immediate damage. I would still shut down any time the CPU temp gets over 90C, though.
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAPR

22. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

It seems like quite a few people have this problem. However, I'm not one of them because I always shut down before putting my MPB in its bag. The only time I leave it sleeping is if it's staying out, on my desk.

It does start up up a lot quicker than that, though. :confused: