I might have overdone my new Office.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Egally08, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Egally08 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Recently made the switch to apple about a year ago with my purchase of a fully spec'd 2013 MBP 15".

I'm self employed and I work from home. I spend at least 12 hours a day on my computer, and once I went to OSX, the productivity increase was surreal. I'm usually dealing with 30 google doc spread sheets on 3 different browsers, 10 VPS remote desktop connections at once, and an array of demanding programs. The speed and ease of which OSX handles the switching back and forth from desktops/applications is invaluable.

Anyways, I never got to post that bit when I joined, so I figured now was a good as time as any. I just bought a new house, and I figured I should redo my office while I was at it. I did 2 BTO top of the line 5k 27" Imac's. Here's a photo I took earlier today. You guys think it's a bit excessive or what?

[​IMG]

2. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

If you can afford them and they make you a living then it is definitely not excessive.
    More is always better :D

3. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

You mentioned the ease of switching between desktops and applications but you have three different PCs. Does that work better for you than one PC with three monitors?

4. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

Excessive?

No, you just died and went to heaven. ;)

5. Egally08 thread starter macrumors newbie

I should have specified - The enhanced productivity came from buying my first Mbp. OSX being what it is, not making me minimize every window for each new program really helped. Besides that, "Microsoft Remote Desktop" on mac allows you to open an unlimited number of connections at once, creating a new desktop for each- As well as saving and naming them. Oddly enough, on the native Microsoft native RDP, you cannot do any of those.

Up until the past week, I did all of my work on my mpb. It's been slowing down a bit with everything that it has going on, but I'm still amazed at what it can handle. I still use my Mbp somewhat since I'm still getting used to this magic keyboard. I do love the new Magic trackpad 2, the increased size is huge a plus.

I could do all of my work on the same machine, multiple monitors. While I was waiting almost 50 days for my first order with no end in sight, I purchased the second Imac from the secondary market. They showed up within a few days of each other. I love the setup, but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep them both - It takes such a good picture though, I figured I'd make a good first post.

6. twilexia macrumors 6502

Oh, ouch, sorry you had to wait 50 days for the first one. Was the second one cheaper? Still late 2015?

You should save 3k or however much and just get a huge display, drive it via thunderbolt. I'm looking at http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...d=1449238092&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+34+widescreen You'll never run out of screen space and you can keep all your stuff on one computer which seems optimal (unless you're gonna let your wife use the second one)

7. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

It is possible to "float" application windows in Windows. OSX and Windows both allow Maximize, Minimize, and manual resize. I have used both operating systems side-by-side for quite some time. "Productivity" issues such as this with Windows almost comes down to a lack of understanding about how the operating system works.

8. Egally08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Maximize, Minimize and resize have nothing to do with what I'm speaking on. I'm talking about the capacity of having 8 desktops, each with 20 applications. Not having to resize or take 10 seconds to bring what I'm looking for to the top view, maximizing the screen real estate and not trying to fit every open window on top. Windows does not have Mission control, nor does it allow unlimited number of remote desktop connections. It has nothing to do with me being ignorant on the use of a windows machine.

Windows 10 is a big improvement, but the multitasking OSX allows for is the top in the industry.

9. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Windows can be configured to accept multiple remote desktop connections. It also has multiple desktops. Mission Control is OSX's answer to what the "Start" menu in Windows has always been (pinned applications always and a searchable database starting from Window 7). Windows has had an Alt-Tab keyboard shortcut all the way back to XP that allows easy scrolling through any open application or open window (the same as command-tab in OSX).

10. Egally08 thread starter macrumors newbie

You're thinking of Launchpad - Not Mission Control. Mission control allows a split second, organized view of every open application on that particular desktop, as well as being able to see and switch to the other desktops. Also allows you to drag and drop applications from one desktop to another. This is the feature I use the most since I'm always bouncing between 20+ applications and browsers. All while allowing me to do this with a swipe of my trackpad. Windows has no such option.

I never said OSX was better for everyone, but for my needs and uses, it's directly responsible for increased work flow.

11. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

You must be talking about something like Windows' "Task View".

[​IMG]

12. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

No. Just pretentious.

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I really envy you :D:p:D

The lack of understanding as usual is affecting Windows and its incoherent ugly UI ...

14. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

As others have said, if you make your living using these machines, certainly not excessive. If all three help with your work and productivity, keep all three. :)

15. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Outstanding!!!

As someone who has also worked from home for many years, both as an independent consultant and as a remote employee, a solid work setup is an invaluable investment. It's how you earn your keep and where you spend a big chunk of your life, so splurge on it.

Only thing I'd say is that you need a few more displays. My old late 2012 iMac is currently sporting its own 27" 1440p display, plus another 27" 1440 and a 34" 3440x1440. In the process of replacing that with another workstation to support even more display real-estate, but that's another story.

Anyhow, adding a couple more heads might help? me, while I value CPU guts, my own productivity is even better served with screen real estate.

Congrats on the nice office!!!!!

Oh, and don't feel bad about having to much. My current rotation includes: 27" iMac (selling it soon), 12" rMB, 13" MBA (work issued), SP3 (soon to be sold), XPS 13, and a big Dell/alienware 6-core behemoth. This, along with a bunch of displays... LOL

16. KustomRooR macrumors newbie

KustomRooR

I think you're missing your maxed out Mac Pro with a 27" Display ;)
    Looks awesome, makes me wish I worked from home and could do nothing but work on my Mac..
    Unfortunately I am stuck in an office using my CAD on a damn windows computer.

17. fathergll macrumors 6502a

Im still not sure on your actual workflow but wouldn't 1 computer with multiple monitors be more efficient?

18. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Three monitors is ideal for productivity. Studies have been done. And the fact they are big and OSX makes it even better. Not pretentious or excessive at all. It is just what works for you. I say it is impossible to "overdo" a home office :)

I say, "Job well done" :)

19. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Excellent setup there!

And your tidy desk policy sickens me! If only one day my desk could look like that!

20. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Yep, but three monitors are different from three powerful computers.

Maybe it was set up for the photo.

21. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

The fact each is a separate computer is just a variation on three monitors and the preference of the owner.

Even if it was setup for the photo (I have done that) it is STILL neat until it gets un neat again :)

22. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

for the last few years, I'd say three displays is perfect for me, but from the same computer. Actually, this year I'm going to try four. But three is ideal, for now:

Left: Consumption - Tech docs, source materials, research, etc. And, if I need background noise, this is where it lives
    Middle: Production - Word Docs, PPTs, Excel, Video Editing - this is where I produce
    Right: Communications - Outlook, Sype/Lync, Calendars, Forums, etc.

Trick is to spend your time in the middle, if possible... LOL

But one system works best for me, with copy & paste across them. But I do have a couple other systems running on the side, also with a few big displays. believe it or not, current office has: 4x 27" 1440s, 1 27" 4k, a 32" 1440, and a couple HDs that mostly sit unused.

Screen real estate is important for me.