I might have to replace my charger cube...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by a-m-k, Jun 10, 2018.

1. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Hello. The only thing I have replaced was the original charging cord because I knew in my house it would likely break anyway. However, I don't know if I could just order one online if I didn't get to get out to the Apple store. I have the iPhone 6s.

Are there any specifications I need to be aware of, or are charging cubes (for iPhones) universal?

Thank you.

2. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

3. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

How old is your iPhone? They offer warranty on the accessories with the phone. If you call Apple they will probably just give you a new cord even if you dont warranty. Doesn’t hurt to call and ask.

4. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

It's the 6S. I don't remember the exact day I got it, but it's charging now. I will try to find this information out later.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

If you do not have an Apple store near by a Best Buy will also have them.

6. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Things are going better because I am now charging back at home. (I'm using a wall outlet. My whole house is surge protected according to my dad.) When I was having a bad time charging, I was using a power strip and camping. I just checked it and it's now somewhere between high eighties to mid nineties. So I am guessing that maybe the power strip I was using and when I was actually in a car, the "pocket juice" power adapter I have was causing it to take an extremely long time. I also turn off wi-fi and data usage when charging.

7. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I just had a thought.... I blew out the charging port and things are still going good, I was just wondering if there was something that I could put over the charging port to prevent dust or small pieces of lint from getting into the port? It would be foolish to put it in a baggie if you wanted it in your pants pocket or whatnot.

8. Breaking Good macrumors 65816

Some water resistant or “sport” cases will have a small rubber flap that covers each port if you are interested. OtterBox, LifeProof and Speck are three that come to mind.

I personally would not try to blow out any dust or lint as you may blow it in as well as out. I would first attempt to use some tape to see if I could get it to stick to it and the pull it out.

Note I would not try to insert the tape into any port as you may damage the connectors inside. Instead I would lay the tape over the port and see if all the lint or dust would come out together when I lifted the tape off.

The clear tape used for wrapping paper would probably work fine for this purpose.

9. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Using a toothpick to clean out the charging port resolves many charging issues. See it all the time. Just whatever you stick in there, should not be metal. It should be non conductive and thin/stiff enough to clear out the junk. If you've never done it, you will have a lot. Even when you think it's clean, its not.

10. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Thank you for the advice not to blow into the charging port. I have heard of using a toothpick before. I'll try that next time, thank you.

11. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

It wasn't my charging cube, it was my nice long charging cable. One will be mailed to me one week from now.

12. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

The new charging cord is in. It's thicker than the one I had, but it's still apple certified. I plugged it in and got the nice "doing" sound. So, I'm hoping it'll last me as long as I have my iPhone. It seems shorter, but it doesn't matter. It'll make it easier to charge on the go. Thanks everybody for following along and suggesting things for the past 12 days.