I miss MagSafe, even more than USB ports

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macbook123, May 23, 2015.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Plugging in to charge is annoying. I wonder if it would be possible to make a converter that plugs into the USB-C port and makes it a magnetic connector. Even if that protrudes a little, it would be so worth it.

2. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

i miss it a little bit, took me a few while to fondle in the dark with the usb-c

however, definitely missing better battery more

3. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I am adapting to it too. It definitely is no iPad Air 2 regarding battery life, and I wouldn't expect it to be. I'm keeping the screen brightness down (50%), I do on all of my laptops anyway. I purchased an Anker portable battery for trips. Wished I would have waited for the true USB-C version.

Using Click to Flash extension and Ad Block seem to help with battery life, for me anyway. i've also turned of bluetooth. I don't use that much.

I'm getting pretty good at hitting the USB-C "bulls-eye when connecting the charging cable in low light. At least it is not the traditional one way USB connection. While in use I have broken my usual laptop habit of keeping my laptop plugged in (on my desk and certainly not on my lap).

I really don't like the short and stiff USB-C adaptors. So I have a longer third party cable.

All in all the 12" Macbook is worth the minor adjustments. My spouses 13" Air, and my good old late 2008 laptop seem large and heavy against the 12".

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I had to plug in the magsafe. Now I have to plug in the USB C cable. I don't see much difference.

One thing I don't miss is the much lighter charger the MacBook uses. ;)

5. Dekimasu macrumors regular

Hmm, I've been pretty happy with the battery so far. I made it through syncing my mail, downloading/installing office, updating Yosemite/Pages/etc. and iMovie, and setting up quite a bit more and never got below 40% in about five hours on the battery. If you have been doing more migration maybe that's been hitting it so far.

I don't like how difficult it is to pull out the USB-C; it's really difficult to do without closing the computer first. But I suppose I'll get used to it.

6. TommyBoy5 macrumors member

Lack of magsafe is a HUGE issue for me.

I can't seem to plug in the USB-C on the first shot - ever. I've messed with it for as long as 10 seconds before and then have to physically look at the port. In the dark is almost an impossibility for me.

Again, I'm pretty lame that way so YMMV.

One port issue? Doesn't bug me in the least. I don't like messing for the adapter to pop in a USB drive but who cares? I think I've done that twice in the month I've had this puppy. Everything of mine is in the cloud anyway.

Still getting used to the keyboard. It's getting better daily.

Battery? I just took a trip to Alaska for business with the rMB. I watched a bunch of movies and did light spreadsheet work and lasted for the two hour flight to Seattle as well as the 3.5 hour flight to Anchorage.

This is a great machine. Great.

7. brand, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015

brand macrumors 601

brand

That thing is ugly. Made me think of the saying "Be careful what you ask for because you just might get it".

----------

How are you able to start your car, unlock your house, or put a straw in a cup? I won't even ask about your bedroom activities. :eek:

Life must be very challenging for you if you have trouble inserting a reversible connector.

8. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

All my potential USB-C issues vanished when I plugged into and started charging my macbook. . from my wife's 2014 MacBook Pro.

Can't do THAT with MagSafe.

On the flip side, while I don't see it as an issue per se, I have to admit plugging the thing in in the dark is a P.I.T.A. ...

9. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

It's actually the only thing I missed. Not so much when plugging it in, but definitely when unplugging it. Grabbing that tiny connector and pulling it out is a major PITA. Especially if you try not to yank on the cable itself to avoid damaging it.

10. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Apple isn't usually a company to make a regression on any part of its devices unless there's a really good reason for the tradeoff. In the case of MagSafe, it was being able to have one port do dual duty with both data and power. I imagine somewhere in Apple's labs it is working on an answer to this problem.

11. Costino1 macrumors 6502

Costino1

Here here

It was satisfying just putting the MagSafe near the port and popped in by itself basically.

12. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

Apple should advertise this, even if it's common knowledge around MR that you can charge this machine even from USB battery packs.