I miss my Palm IIIx

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by porcupine8, Jul 18, 2013.

1. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I want a PDA, and preferably not at iPod Touch prices. It seems like all the things that are in that market are focused on gaming and music. I don't want it for games, and while I would use the music if I had it (especially since my Shuffle was stolen), it's not a big deal. And I definitely do not want a smart phone and the monthly plan attached to that - I don't even particularly care if it has wifi.

What I want is something I can easily carry around to make lists, jot down notes, and schedule things. If it used an old-school resistive stylus that would be awesome, but I realize that is unlikely.

Is there anything on the market that is focused on basically being a PDA?

Alternately, if I bought an ancient Palm PDA, how would I go about getting software for it/onto it with my Intel Mac? Is there an archive of old PalmOS software out there somewhere?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I would be interested to know if a PDA falls under a smartphone plan. It has been so long since I had a treo that I do not remember.

3. ucfgrad93, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I used to use a Palm T|5 with my iMac. I used The Missing Sync from Mark Space. You can find it here.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I loved my Palm Tungsten T3. I never thought it could be replaced by a phone but who knew :eek:

palm_tungsten.gif

5. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

2nd or 3rd gen ipod touches run aroud $20-50. You can still get your email and manage appointments and sync your calendars with the calendar app. Plus you can use itunes so software isnt much of a problem. Those would be your best bets i would think. Unless you have your heart set on a palm.

6. Assault macrumors 6502a

Assault

This. Or even an old iPhone could do the trick. While you can still get legacy Palm software on the internet, you would be severely handicapped on what apps or programs could interact with today's software protocols.

----------

Damn, Palm stole from the iPhones look and feel back in 2003! ;)

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I had a Windows Mobile Pocket PC. Good times those were. :D

I would be worried about the battery at this point. The last time I used a Palm was when they sent me one to complete a survey diary with like two years ago, so I know they're still in use professionally and not just hobbyist. :eek: Some people are still using Newtons too.

There's a lot of sync software that's still out there for all these.