Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munkees

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
My powerbook just got replaced for free by Apple, applecare is great, they could not get the a logic baord for my 1.5 Ghz powerbook, so I am now the proud owner of a Mac Book Pro CD 2Ghz, with 1GB RAM.

I miss the G4, I hate that alot of apps are not native, I can not longer play Americas Army, because it does not run good on intel. I have a iMac 20" CD with 2GB Ram and it really blows.

I still waiting flip4mac to release a intel version of the pluging to support WMP, but I not holding my breath, seeing they get paid by mircosoft, and my guess microsoft wants this to be delayed (my guess).

adobe photoshop element 2.0 keeps crashing on intel, I would buy version 4 but I need a intel version. I feel like the apps support is slow, with the intel switch.

:(

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved PowerBook G4. Although, I would be quite happy that you received a nice upgrade in exchange for it. :eek: :)

You could try going the roue advised by count chocula if you really want a PowerBook G4 back. :)

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Note to self: destroy logic board in 1.5Ghz PB. Make it look like mechanical failure.

Give it time, more and more Apps are native to intel every day.

Sorry to hear about your baby, though.. I know it's not quite the same. :(

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
katie ta achoo said:
Note to self: destroy logic board in 1.5Ghz PB. Make it look like mechanical failure.

Give it time, more and more Apps are native to intel every day.

Sorry to hear about your baby, though.. I know it's not quite the same. :(
i think apple should give you a free MBP for your loyalty to apple :)

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
There was a beta of Flip4Mac released for Intel a while back... :p Version 2.1.0.24 is no longer available on the Flip4Mac website but it can be found on some shadier corners of the Internet ;)

munkees

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
sniff...sniff...Thanks guys, I need the group support, I am very greatful apple gave me a new computer, goes to show what a great company they are, just miss running my apps native. In time, there will be apps again

Gwardys

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2006
Head on over to Digg and search for Flip 4 Mac.

Tons of links to the beta are posted.

I thouroughly enjoy it. I see no quibbles about the fact that it is beta.

I'm sure that AA will over time receive a UB patch.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
:eek: I don't believe it. I replaced my Powerbook with a MB.... now all I say is "Powerbook? What Powerbook?"

Enjoy the MBP.

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
Want to trade?

Hey, I've got the Powerbook 1.5Ghz, It has a combo, but we can probably swap the drives if need be. If you want to trade let me know. I'm all up for it.:)
PM me, email me, whatever. I take good care of it too.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
If you want to play PC games perfectly w/o any issues, just get a cheap refurbed gaming PC.

I use my PC for gaming all the time... and XP isn't that bad if you just take care of it properly. :)

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
munkees said:
...I can not longer play Americas Army, because it does not run good on intel...

Play it in wintel w/ bootcamp?

It will grow on you. I lamented my Pismo after I sold it, but honestly, I don't really miss it much anymore. Newer is always better. :)

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
MacAficionado said:
Hey, I've got the Powerbook 1.5Ghz, It has a combo, but we can probably swap the drives if need be. If you want to trade let me know. I'm all up for it.:)
PM me, email me, whatever. I take good care of it too.

haha.

i've the PB in my sig. 1.67 GHz.. gig of ram.. superdrive.. in perfect condition, too. trade? i'll trade. ;)

munkees

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
I love Americas Army, and I will not stoop low to getting a PC or even putting XP on my Mac. If you use XP on a Mac you have to buy XP, and that is never worth purchasing. there will be no UB update.

I will get used to MBP, but the name powerbook sound some much cooler.

BTW I hate MS and will not put any of there products on my computers. They screw up no matter what platform it runs on. Like puting windows media on linux installs in directories that it should not and puts files every where, like it was a windows install. Messanger on the Mac I noticed does not let you shut down the computer or put to sleep. It has to sit and bounce in the doc, so you then have to shut it down first. I think MS does this on purpose. I will say office on the Mac does look nice. I do even have office, but I do not use it, and therefore I will not install it.

Thanks for all the offers to swap.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
munkees said:
BTW I hate MS and will not put any of there products on my computers. They screw up no matter what platform it runs on. Like putting windows media on linux installs in directories that it should not and puts files every where, like it was a windows install. Messenger on the Mac I noticed does not let you shut down the computer or put to sleep. It has to sit and bounce in the doc, so you then have to shut it down first. I think MS does this on purpose. I will say office on the Mac does look nice. I do even have office, but I do not use it, and therefore I will not install it.
The only thing I will consider MS products for Mac are Office and their keyboard/mouse. However, in the business world, about 95% use Windows platform and I had to keep Windows machine along with my Macs.

When I buy a Windows machine, I know I don't buy anything other than the tablet model (simply because Apples does not make this type of computer). For notebook models, I will rather buy Mac notebook computers if I am spending my own money.

munkees

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
YS2003 said:
The only thing I will consider MS products for Mac are Office and their keyboard/mouse. However, in the business world, about 95% use Windows platform and I had to keep Windows machine along with my Macs.

When I buy a Windows machine, I know I don't buy anything other than the tablet model (simply because Apples does not make this type of computer). For notebook models, I will rather buy Mac notebook computers if I am spending my own money.

I used windows with jobs, but at the moment I have no JOB, so that is no problem, I am looking for a Mac programming Job, there are not easy to find, I looking at entry level, even though I have 10 years of embedded / UNIX / LINUX programming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.