I miss my "REAL" push email!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigerec, Aug 15, 2008.

1. tigerec macrumors newbie

I abondoned my blackberry curve for the iPhone 3G. I have noticed that my push email is not working as well as my blackberry did. My bank's website uses a security feature that sends either a text message or email with a code that let's me perform certain transactions/changes on my account. I didn't want to get charged for txt messages so I set it up for emails. With my curve, I would get the email on my phone instantaneously, however, with the iphone, I have to wait till my 15min fetch, or until i manually open the mail application. Anyone else with the same experience?

2. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

everyone has the same experience because right now, that is how the iphone works. THERE IS NO PUSH!- unless you are using a client with push (yahoo)

you are going to have to wait till september, when the push is supposed to be availble

3. crsd36 macrumors member

Which email service are you using? If it is Gmail, you're out of luck for now. If you are using Yahoo! Mail and still are unable to receive push, it is possible that push is disabled. If you really need it you can enable it under Settings, then Fetch New Data. Beware of the dreaded battery drain though :)

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

What address is pushing? I am connected to my work's exchange server over EDGE and often get messages before Outlook displays the message on the PC at work. Yahoo! has been flakey for a while. MM is hit and miss. No other service, that I'm aware of, does Push, so unless you are using one of those three, you'll just have to deal.

TEG

5. yoomy macrumors member

Your Blackberry had PUSH Email cause its the main feature of that service. The iPhone supports PUSH via exchange or mobileme, so you need an email account that supports PUSH. Exchange right now is more reliable than mobileme though.

You can't just use any Email adress with the iPhone and expect it to PUSH the email. Blackberry is not able to do that either, a BB without a Blackberry Email service does not push anything at all.

6. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

The API update is coming, which will allow servers like Gmail to push to the iPhone.

September :DD

7. macmedal macrumors regular

I have a btinternet account which is supported by Yahoo so I have push emails. However I have found that the push feature seems to be very intermittent some days it works well other days it does not update until I check my account and fetch.

Not sure if it is an iPhone problem or a yahoo problem. One thing is for sure the iPhone push is not yet comparable to my previous Blackberry 8800 which worked instantaneously. The Vodafone blackberry account supported all pop emails accounts, I wish mobileme was the same !

8. wildmilne macrumors regular

yeah if im sitting at my computer i get my email on the phone about 1 second before i get notified in yahoo messenger.

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I forward my Gmail to a yahoo account, and I gotta admit it's not the fastest thing in the world.

Not slow by any means ... but certainly not real-time.

10. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Related Question - please help

Isn't Mobileme supposed to push email to my iPhone 3G? I've updated to 2.02 and was also advised to reset the device (to solve a different problem) and since then I don't seem to be getting mail pushed. I just did a test and Mail.app on my MBP picked up the messages sent to my Mobileme address (and the two aliases) but the phone gets nothing.

I checked my settings and push is on but for some reason when I go to 'Fetch New Data > Advanced' it says '.Mac Account Fetch'. When I click on this the options are Fetch and Manual. Is this normal?

11. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I believecwith a blackberry you can enter your IMAP details online and have the email pushed.

Still not instant but faster then the iPhone's interval

12. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

The push notification service to be released soon has nothing to do with push email. It enables other apps to receive pushed notifications. The email app already possesses the capability to receive pushed content, but many email providers do not support push-IMAP.

13. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I'm still not clear if having push yahoo was an Apple, or Yahoo decision.

I mean ... if it was up to Yahoo, why isn't Google doing it?
    And, if it's up to Apple, why aren't they doing Gmail as well as yahoo mail?

14. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

the same reason why it took gmail roughly a year after pop to release IMAP:

Google will do so when it pleases to

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Ok ... as long as it's up to Google (and presumably coming "sometime" as a result), I'm cool with that.

Native gmail push would REALLY make my day.

16. amro macrumors 6502

Check out the posts related to Gmail and MobileMe.

I currently have my Gmail set to forward to my MobileMe account. I also have a Yahoo account as well. Both work extremely well as far as push is concerned. I know that when I've been in the Apple store to purchase items, my phone notifies me of my email receipt within minutes of purchasing the item. I've run several tests from my work email to my Gmail and Yahoo accounts and the push always works on both of them.

I know MobileMe has had issues, but in all honesty it's worked perfectly for me since day one.

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Or Hotmail?

18. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

I have a .mac / mobileme acct...before the 2.0 software was out it was slow to receive emails. Now that 2.0 is out, it seems my iPhone gets it instantly.

How is this not push?

19. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I use Yahoo e-mail with Push turned on and it is hit or miss.

Sometimes an e-mail will come through instantaneously while other times it can be two hours and it won't come through until I manually check for mail. I don't know if this is an issue with yahoo or the iphone.

20. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

Wirelessly posted (White iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I have noticed that as well with yahoos push service. I have my gmail forwarding to mobileme and that is working great.

21. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

as of lately my yahoo has been working perfectly.

maybe i'm just lucky