I miss my warm lap... broke, denied gpu repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by McBeats, Dec 11, 2008.

1. McBeats macrumors 6502a

Well its been about 10 days since my computers display decided to go out on me. I have no workstation and no computer besides this 350mhz g4 im using.

my comp still boots up, default into windows, gives me the vista chime n everything... i backed up all my stuff so im fine there.

I took my sr 2.2ghz macbook pro (with the infamous nvidia gpu, 128mb) to the store to get a free repair (died on me 3 months past applecare 1 yr warentee) they took my macbook pro and told me it was registered to a manager at the other apple store near my house. why, i dunno... anyways they said they would repair for free, and I sign the paper and happily start waiting for my comp to come back in a week...

2 days later, they give me a call and tell me "unfortunately we cant send in your computer, because there is a dent in the side". 1 yr ago I dropped my computer and it has a dent on the back corner, near the magsafe, but has been working properly still ever since. I say to the guy on the phone "um okay". he goes on saying "if we send it to applecare they would say that it maybe damaged the logic board and wont be covered" i begin to get heated, and start goin "MAYBE damaged the logic board? not DID hit the logic board?" "this computer still works. yadda yadda". guy goes "I'm just doin my job, I'm just tellin you what applecare is going to tell you". I gave him that, I dont wanna be shootin more breeze stressin out some kid at work.
    ...so since I'm broke (so broke couldnt afford the applecare extension before it ended) I told him I'll just go pick it up.

So that was two days ago, and I still gotta go pick it up.

2 lessons that are "NO DUH"
    -Get Applecare, squeeze pennies for it if you gotta.
    -For gods sake, don't drop your computer. even if it still works, it gives applecare something to deny you.

Just sharing my experience...

Anyone got advice as to what I can do to still get this thing repaired? What can i say to apple? if they deny me still when i go in to pick it up, can it take this further and fight it?? or am i doomed?

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

3. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

I would say send it off to applecare anyway. If you get a nice rep, you might get your computer fixed anyway.