I miss old macbooks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Seth Mac Fan, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Seth Mac Fan macrumors regular

Does anybody else miss the white macbooks and the black macbooks ? I always thought they look way better than the current ones . I also liked the look of the older macbook pros . Now they just do not look as good anymore they look cheaper in my opinion .

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

They were awesome in their day
    But today's designs are much better and more advanced in my opinion

Although, my MBA is "black" with the Speck satin on it

3. sonovale macrumors member

4. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Love mine - still does 95% of everything I need it to do.

Plus just got a new topcase and bezel replacement for free as mine cracked (even though its 5 years old) and it looks brand new now!

5. TSE macrumors 68030

I definitely thought the plastic MacBooks were sexy - the blacks brand new were probably the best looking Apple notebook ever in my opinion.

The problem with them was they weren't durable at all; where it was from oil prints all over them making them look bad, chipped palmrests, or just body damage overtime that the current Apple notebooks don't get, the MacBooks weren't durable.

The first generation MacBook Pros, however, were durable (although not as durable as the unibody), and definitely had more character than the current generation. The footprint of the 15" was also smaller.

6. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I still use my 2006 C2D, works well even with only 2gb memory. Sadly I can't update it to Mountain Lion - so although it works fine with Lion it looks as if it's time to upgrade.

7. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

(There, I fixed that for you)

Just because you can't run the latest and greatest iOSX doesn't mean you need a new Mac.

Wait until what you haven't can't get the job done anymore, then upgrade.

I still have a mid 2007 MacBook that can't upgrade to ML. But I don't mind since I never upgraded it to Lion.

I really like the aluminum on the current MacBook Pro lineup, but I miss the color option. If you could order a MacBook Pro in variety of colors (remember the G3 iMac?) that would be great.

8. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

True, but I'll be using the new features on my Mac Mini so the differences will stand out.

9. matt550 macrumors 6502

I also had my top case and bezel replaced. Mine will be 5 years old in a couple months. I'm glad Apple is still replacing them. I wonder how long they will do that.

10. CA3iR0 macrumors newbie

Not only the G3 iMacs, but also the G3 iBooks (clamshell) were available in many colors.

[​IMG]

BTW, what did you guys do for replacing the bezel and the case of your macbooks? Mine's all cracked!

11. theRAMman macrumors regular

I agree, I have an old white MacBook and I would love to get its battered old case replaced! Is it done for free (this is apple of course it won't be free) or for a price?

12. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I still use my MacBook white - first or second gen (2,1 I think). It is a nice machine. My little hobby project :) And I've always loved the white look over the brushed aluminium.

Apple recently replaced my top case for free (and it's 2007 without AppleCare so great service), I put a new matte screen in it because the original one had gone yellow and an SSD (which can't reach much of its potential due to the SATA-I bus :) ). But it makes it fast enough to XCode on.

Oh and I sanded off the sharp plastic edge at the front so it's way more comfortable, I used to get imprints on my wrist from the sharp edge. I also put some clear rubber pips along the top edge to hold off the lid a bit, that way there isn't too much force on the topcase so I don't think it'll reoccur. Doesn't look great that way but I don't think I'll get away with another free topcase replacement :)

Too bad the outside is totally scratched up, I bought it off a friend who wasn't looking after his stuff like I would. Big dent in the lid as well.

But yeah they're great machines, although having opened them up a few times now, they're not very well designed. The inside is very much "PC", not nearly as well designed as Apple's unibody stuff. I bet they were rushed out the door because they were busy enough with the intel transition. Lots of screws, little plastic parts around the hinges that fit together instead of one big part, cheapy clips around the bezel that break off. Stuff like that.

But I love it, will keep it at least until the retina 13" comes out (and then probably will keep it around as a backup, I doubt I can sell it with all the modifications I made).

Oh by the way I owned a blueberry G3 as well, got rid of it because it was too slow but it was great for lugging around, super strongly built and very comfortable ergonomics.

13. imageWIS macrumors 6502a

I assume you only use the computer to browse the web?

14. CA3iR0 macrumors newbie

He did it for teh lulz

$1500, agressive pricing, lol...
    Agressive pricing had the previous white macbooks starting under $900 (899 to be more precise)!

15. CA3iR0 macrumors newbie

Still too expensives compared to the white macbooks, and without an optical drive: meeeehhhhhh...
    Before, the white macbooks were the low-end macs (the cheapest), the macbook pro 13 were the mid-end, and the macbook pro 15/17 were the top-end. Nowadays Apple does not have any low-end.
    Yes, Apple claims that the macbook air is a low-end home mac, but it costs as much as a macbook pro! WTF, Apple?!

Bring back the white macbooks line!

16. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

No I use it for XCode. It's fast enough, it's a 2.16 Ghz C2D, and with the SSD and 3GB of memory it's plenty fast, for now at least. No slower than my old MacBook Air (2010 model).

17. theRAMman macrumors regular

I have one that I use for all kinds of stuff, heck, I even play minecraft on it! They are wonderful little machines!

18. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

True that:)

In spring I bought my girlfriend a 2007 White MB to get her introduced to Apple computers and to replace her horrible Acer extensa (or something like that). First she was a bit sceptic due to all the Windows/OSX differences, but once she got used to it she just loves it and uses it daily - literally from dusk til dawn. And it's as fast and smooth as it was on day one right after fresh OSX install (although its mostly light stuff that she does, like web and Open Office + some games from App Store it beats her previous Acer by a mile).
    The MB has the same amount of RAM (2GB) and similar CPU (Core2Duo 2GHz) as her previous laptop (15" Acer 1,8 Core2Duo with 2GB RAM) and yet its unspeakably faster, smoother and more stable. The Acer couldn't last 6 months without some system maintenance (from my side of course:) and even after all that trouble it was luggish, booted in 1,30 seconds and was hanging down constantly + all the typical software errrors like "a critical error has occured, the application has to be shut down" after which my girlfriend would lose a few hours worth or her work in Word... Furthermore Acer stop being a portable computer after about 6-8 months after purchase as the battery wouldn't have lasted for more than 20 minutes on wifi. While the MB with 500 battery cycles still holds over 3 hours (when using only the wifi).
    So I gotta say that the White MB is really superb and I wish Apple would introduce a comparable low end Mac. Because like you guys said, Macbook Air is far from low end - and it (or the 13" MB Pro) would be perfect for someone like my girlfriend who doesn't need a laptop for serious pro stuff like graphic design, but just needs a stable, smoothly running and beautifully designed laptop for all the usual stuff.

19. imageWIS macrumors 6502a

I was asking because there was no way you are doing up-to-date graphics work with that computer.

20. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

I still use my black Macbook every day and I love it.:)

Though now that I can no longer upgrade OSX, I'm currently having a browse at upgrading... :cool:

21. dandeco macrumors regular

I do love those polycarbonate MacBooks. Apple shouldn't have discontinued them; they were a great entry-level Apple notebook, and still are today.
    I managed to get a used early 2009 polycarbonate MacBook (with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics) for a great price last year, and it's still operating perfectly. To be honest, I do like the NVIDIA graphics way better than the wimpy old Intel graphics chip the original MacBooks had.
    The black MacBook does look stylish though; I do wish Apple still offered a black version after October 2008 (maybe even have a color option on the online Apple store, like some PCs may have.)

When I got my MacBook, it had a 120 GB hard drive, 2 GB of RAM, a non-functioning SuperDrive, and a finnicky LCD backlight. The backlight was repaired a month after getting it at the Apple Store (the one located in Braintree, MA; as that one is the closest to where I live) for ONLY $45, and this was an out-of-warranty MacBook! I was really pleased with Apple's customer service, as I had my MacBook back and the backlight good as new in a little under 24 hours!
    I still haven't replaced the SuperDrive (I usually just use an external USB DVD burner), but now my MacBook has 6 GB of RAM, and a 500 GB hard drive, partitioned with both OS X 10.7 Lion AND Windows 7 Home Premium via Boot Camp (I got the idea of doing so when my college did the same thing on the 24-inch iMacs in their Fine Arts building.) Seeing as my MacBook makes the grade for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, I'm almost tempted to make the upgrade this weekend!