I miss Steve Jobs

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Frisco, May 24, 2013.

1. Frisco, May 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2013

Frisco macrumors 68020

I miss him on a personal level even though I never met him. He was so charismatic, but it's difficult for me to explain how I feel with him gone. And this has nothing to do with Apple stock or performance---just a unique individual that makes this world a little less without him.

Just wanted to get that out.

2. lucaspkm macrumors member

I understand what you mean, steve got his own OM factor I would say.

Miss you steve.

3. Negritude macrumors 6502

I'm glad he's dead. Not that I wished him ill will, but rather, I'm glad that his enormous personality is out of the way so that Apple can evolve.

4. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple has only went downhill since his departure from CEO and his death.

5. TedM macrumors 6502

I think if Steve was still alive, it might be the same case. Lots of legal issues at the moment it seems. With taxes, lawsuits, and antitrust issues.

6. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

And this news article will make you miss him even more.

US teenager Jack Andraka develops $5 test to detect pancreatic cancer

7. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

I LOVED Steve as a person, his charisma like no one else. The way he could present products like it was his own, loved children. I can see no one doing that. He had a passion for Apple and the products like no one else will be able to have. I can still watch 10 year old keynotes, getting sucked into it completely.

He truly was a one-of-a-kind. I don't think I will see a person like him again in my lifespan.

However, I think Apple might have benefitted of the loss of Steve in other ways. Being more open and easier to talk with.

Time will only tell if Apple is going downhill. They surely have to get innovative again. It's like they've been stuck the past two years.

Again: The people that made the iPhone, iPad, and maybe even the iPod and original Mac is still in Apple. They are the ones we have to rely on now. And they've done it before, so I'm 100% sure they will come up with something new and great in the future!

R.I.P. Steve.

8. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Remember what happened the last time his enormous personality left

9. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

If Steve were still alive what would Apple have done in 2012 that they didn't do?

10. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

He was such a great man.. someone please clone him back to life! :(:(:(:(:(

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    He would've convinced all of us that it was their best, most innovative year ever. Hell, Jobs could take the stage and convince the entire world that moving the volume controls on the iPhone down half an inch is a massive jump forward for the entire industry.

"...and boy, have we patented it. You don't even have to think about turning the volume controls up or down anymore. It's just there. Right at your fingertips when you need it. Perfectly designed to fit within the grip of every shape and size of hand out there. Elegant. Easy to use. It just works".

Tim Cook is a pretty good CEO. Maybe even arguably better than Jobs in a lot of ways. But he's not a salesman. Not like Jobs was.

12. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

That is a terrible thing to say, about anybody, despite your attempt at back-tracking. Steve single-handedly made APPLE what it is today, and APPLE would have evolved with or without him. I'm glad you agree he was an enormous persona.

Incredible! Is this for real? Are there any clinical trials going on?

13. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

So the answer is nothing different (at least product wise). :)

14. pdjudd macrumors 601

I remember things were totally different back then for Apple, your point?

15. output555 macrumors member

Congratulations, this is one of the most thoughtless, ignorant and idiotic comments I read today. Shame on you.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No one should shame anyone for not missing a total stranger where there was zero personal connection. He was a CEO, he didn't cure or find a cure for something that saved lives. His innovation has brought us products that we all spend a great deal of money to own. I don't miss the guy myself, it doesn't make me heartless at all. In fact, I think it's fairly logical to not miss him. I also understand his hands are on product designs that post date his untimely passing.

Miss him if you must, I just seem to think differently than many around here.

17. mmcc macrumors regular

If the Isaacson biography can be believed, Jobs knew he had cancer for some time and refused to treat it with Western medicine. He tried diet and other holistic approaches and came to regret not treating it more aggressively early on. Therefore, lack of early detection wasn't as big a factor in his demise.

18. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Things being different is obvious and irrelevent to "my point". I was simply replying to the troll that was praising Steve's death as some sort of saving grace for Apple. Looking at their history, "my point" was to remind him of what happened to the company in the past without the influence of Steve Jobs.

19. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Not missing a person you have never met is not unusual, but to say he only influenced our bank accounts is awfully short sighted. Arguably, PCs and advanced electronics in general would not be what they are today if it weren't for his influence in the technical community. Product innovations driven by technology companies, specifically Apple in this case, have had huge impact on medical advancements. This has no doubt, saved people's lives. You don't have to miss him, but there is no doubt that he was an integral part of the technology boom that we are still experiencing today.

20. jdechko macrumors 68040

Sorry to say, but Jobs didn't single-handedly make Apple what it is today. He was the man at the top; he was a visionary and a great salesman. But even he knew he couldn't do it all on his own. So he surrounded himself with others who shared in his vision. Cook, Schiller, Ive, Johnson, Forstall, Rubenstein all come to mind, and deserve tremendous credit for the things they've done at Apple.

As for Tim Cook, here's my opinion.

Marketing is making people want something. Operations is being able to put it in their hands. Most people have no idea about operations and supply chain management.

Jobs knew little about operations, so he hired Cook to run operations for him. Cook knows little about marketing/ salesmanship, so he lets Schiller do most of the talking.

Still, you would be hard pressed to find a better operation than what Cook has done at Apple.

21. vampyr macrumors regular

One thing I've really noticed, now that Jobs is gone... is the slowness that Apple is coming out with new improvements/advancements.

When Jobs was in control, you could tell that there was a sense of urgency to moving forward. Perhaps it was the underlying truth that he knew his time was too limited and purposely rushed his company forward.

Since Cook took over, things aren't moving as fast. There also doesn't seem to be this media hype over pending speculation on what Apple's next 'big thing' will be. Sure there's some chatter about the Apple TV, but that was noise being made when Jobs was still alive.

I honestly believe that Apple has lost their vision of future technology. All we can do now is just wait for minimal updates to their current line of products.

About the only noise I've been hearing lately is about Apple wanting to buy Netflix.

22. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

No argument there....and if you look through my posts, you'll find that I am a big supporter of Cook.
    But my post was about SJ and not Cook, and about the flippant/disrespectful way, Negritude spoke about a deceased person ("I'm glad he's dead").

23. jdechko macrumors 68040

I should have clipped out the first part of your post, since that's not what I was replying to.

24. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

25. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Even Windows lovers should appreciate some of the work he did in the field of computers. It's often said that Microsoft stole ideas from Apple.

As one other poster suggested, one of his best qualities was his ability to convince people that he knew exactly what they wanted. For instance, he defended Apple's decision not to introduce a 7" iPad by pointing to the UIs of the 7" tablets that were being sold at the time he said that.