I miss the old itunes, how do i downgrade

thugpoet22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
New York
The new look of itunes is flashy but i dont think its productive. Well i guess if your truly trying to do something with video, but my itunes is most "tunes". So, i miss my little eye in the corner that did all the actions that i required. So when i downloaded itunes 6 and tryed to install it or downgrade, it just would not work. Im not sure why, so i figured i would post my problems here hoping that someone might help me.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
there's still a browse button, bottom-right. you can pretty much ignore the new features, if you choose, and there you go! itunes 6!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You might be able to do it by deleting iTunes 7 and the receipt file: <hard drive>/Library/Receipts/iTunesX.pkg

After reinstalling iTunes 6, you'd then have to reimport your music and redo your playlists. I don't know if you can keep the iTunes 7 preference files to retain your playlists and other settings...they might cause iTunes 6 to hiccup.

ziutek

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2004
CA
You might be able to force install itunes 6, if you use the program Pacifist. But I'm not sure if the older version will still.

andreas.b

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2005
Yes, I am against the new "look" of iTunes 7 (the scrollbars, etc) but to be honest I can't say that the usage changed even a bit. You can still browse, etc. I like the new features.

thugpoet22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
New York
The only reason why i dislike the new itunes is because it doesn't group the way it says it suppose to, I if i have one album with 24 tracks but some of the tracks have different artist so there places differently with there own album cover. I like itunes because it keeps my 9 gigs of music in in order. So, i will stick with 7 for a little while and see if i like the feel of it. But it not i will downgrade to 6

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
andreas.b said:
Yes, I am against the new "look" of iTunes 7 (the scrollbars, etc) but to be honest I can't say that the usage changed even a bit. You can still browse, etc. I like the new features.
I'm considering downgrading because they took away the ability for me to see my Shuffle's contents when it's not connected to my computer.

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
I think this is nuts. The old interface was kludgy and inconsistent.

As for the new features, turn them off.

thugpoet22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
New York
i can deal with the new features since i found that little eye that i was talking about. they put it on the bottom of itunes interface instead of being at the top. Im glad they upgraded, i guess i just kinda freaked out because it did have the features that i was so use to using in plain sight, or in the same place that they were in before.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
timswim78 said:
http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.htm

Oops, that is for the Windows versions. Someone have the link for older OS X versions?
You had it, it was only a link away :)
http://www.oldapps.com/download_iTunes_mac.php

thugpoet22 said:
Im glad they upgraded, i guess i just kinda freaked out because it did have the features that i was so use to using in plain sight, or in the same place that they were in before.
I kind of freaked a little at first, because I couldn't find the little chapter menu button anywhere. It took a little while to think of looking in the menu bar for a menu :D

Anyway, the nasty problems with video playback seem to have been banished, even at full screen, so I'm happy.

audiophile42

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
iMeowbot said:
You had it, it was only a link away :)
http://www.oldapps.com/download_iTunes_mac.php

I kind of freaked a little at first, because I couldn't find the little chapter menu button anywhere. It took a little while to think of looking in the menu bar for a menu :D

Anyway, the nasty problems with video playback seem to have been banished, even at full screen, so I'm happy.
OMG, thank you! I had been freaking out because the little chapter menu was gone for my audible stuff. I made a thread here, and even emailed audible. They told me that apple didn't consult with them, and flat out removed the feature from iTunes. I just happened to stumble in here. The menu's gone, but at least we can move back and forth chapter by a keystroke.

badhorsie777

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
Yes is does...

thugpoet22 said:
The only reason why i dislike the new itunes is because it doesn't group the way it says it suppose to, I if i have one album with 24 tracks but some of the tracks have different artist so there places differently with there own album cover. I like itunes because it keeps my 9 gigs of music in in order. So, i will stick with 7 for a little while and see if i like the feel of it. But it not i will downgrade to 6
iTunes 7 works just like 6 in this respect - if an album has many artists, it's called a "compilation". just highlight the songs in that album (I sort by album first so everything's right next to each other), then right-click/whatever and get to the info (command-I on apple, methinks). Check the option "part of a compilation" and bam, it'll understand to file those songs as ONE album, not 12 1-song albums. Hope this helps.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
iTunes 7 has been very buggy for me (on 10.3.9, PPC). If I try to do two iTMS searches in a row, the search box is no longer clickable, so I can't enter any text. To perform another search I have to quit and relaunch iTunes.

Also, after performing a search, the scroll wheel/ball doesn't work in other views until I click in them. This is new in 7, and while minor gets pretty annoying when it happens each time.

thugpoet22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
New York
Thanks a lot, that seems to work perfect for me. I hope if others are having a similar problem, they will find this thread and get the info as well. Thanks again for all the help.

keithbennis

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2006
Coral Springs
I wouldn't wanna downgrade cause the album jukebox feature is amazing..... try doing this for the eye candy....

Code:
http://www.macthemesforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=16777412