I miss the status bar in IE

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sir Loin Steak, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Sir Loin Steak macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Ok, so I'm using Safari, 'cos that's what came with the iMac, and I have no particular problem with that.

Except the thing I miss is the lack of a status bar, or what I think is called a status bar, that you get at the bottom of the ie window. It's the bar that shows the url, when you mouse over on a link, of somewhere you may not want to go.

So, for example, in Hotmail, I might receive what appears to be spam, and almost certainly is, and the spam contains a link - purportedly to my 'bank'. On mouseover, the status bar shows the true destination of the link, and so that confirms that I just have to delete the said message.

So, any way of having such an indicator on Safari?

2. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you click and hold on the link and then drag it a bit then it will show you what the link is leading you to. I believe that is what you are asking, if not then you may want to clarify your question a bit.

Or that too.

4. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

I don't know I didn't see/think of that!

Much better, imo. It also gives the bottom of the window some definition. I know you can hide the dock, but the bottom of the window just kind of 'stops' in mid-air without a status bar.

Thanks.

5. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Why are you opening spam/phishing emails at all?

6. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Most junk goes into the junk folder, but sometimes a stray one gets through, and if it's convincing enough, I might open it.

However, I am still suspicious of it, and so a mouseover and the info on the status bar tells me all I need to know.

I don't think I have ever clicked on a link inside a spam email. Opened one, yes, gone any further, no.