I miss the ubuntu look

Discussion in 'macOS' started by roadbloc, Aug 26, 2009.

1. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It may sound mad, but i miss the ubuntu look. Is there anyway possible by either the use of applications or changing settings that I can make my mac look a little like ubuntu (all orange and stuff) [​IMG]

I'm running os x 10.5 btw, and there doesn't seem to be much way to customize it as far as i can see. It's very restrictive.

2. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Well... download an orange background, and there you go. You might be able to take the transparency off the Menu Bar, but that's it. If you want Ubuntu, stick to it...

3. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

Word.

If you like Ubuntu, why don't run Ubuntu? :)

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Off topic, but, kind of curious what you are using for your desktop…*the image looks "interesting".

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I believe that's just the default background in Ubuntu 8.04 (I THINK, it's been a while since I've used it)...it's definitely the default in one of the old versions.

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Other than Ubuntu?

7. Simmerl macrumors member

Just install Ubuntu on your Mac and stop telling us how "restrictive" evil Apple is by not letting you have orange folders icons.

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

OK, thanks. Never having used Ubuntu I was unfamiliar with the image. I was just wondering. It kinda looks like a bear's profile kind of ground into dirt…

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use Ubuntu in both VMware and bootcamp and I can safely say I hate the rusted brown look of gnome. I quickly changed the color, wallpaper and theme to something a little more visually pleasing.

That's one of the areas that Linux (and windows) has over OSX. The ease and freedom to alter theme/look/feel of the UI. Apple has bent over backwards to make themeing extremely hard on OSX. To that end, what was once a Burgeoning segment of OSX, has flamed out years ago.

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

11. Skweeky macrumors member

I think you'll find the image represents an "Ibex" of the "Intrepid" type.

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

aaaah! Now I see. Thanks. :)

13. roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

Liteicon looks a good start. Thanks. Allready have fink though, its damn good for odd linux programs i want to run.

14. roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Given that Leopard is about to be replaced...what, day after tomorrow? I would not hold my breath. :p

But add Candybar to the list...it appears to have Snow Leopard support too.

http://www.panic.com/candybar/

16. Simmerl macrumors member

You really might want to take a look at this
    http://macthemes2.net/

They can surely help you fight restrictive Apple's lack of orange.

17. svndmvn Guest

18. roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

DUDE! This is exactly what ive been looking for. Thanks a lot. :D:apple:

The rest of u guys really know how to make a guy welcome to the world of mac. You may have just convinced me to go back to ubuntu.

19. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

That's funny how apple people react when someone makes a remark about OSX. Actually it is right that OSX lacks of GUI customization.

The OP never said that we wants to return to Ubuntu. He just wants a GUI environment he likes so stop telling him he should return to Ubuntu.

20. Simmerl macrumors member

There are a number of reasons why Apple is "restrictive", just look at the App Store.
    Complaining about not having a Theme Manager out of the box is downright bizarre. If roadbloc was smart enough to install Ubuntu, he should have been smart enough to realise that different operating systems look and behave differently.
    The lack of window themes in OS X is not Apple being restrictive. If it were, they would simply break Magnifique with every point release.

I guess what I'm trying to say is - criticising Apple is A-OK and encouraged, but not when you call them restrictive for not having a Theme Manager.
    That's simply ridiculous.

21. roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

so dude... lemmie get this straight. I'm not not to complain about the lack of a theme manager so i can spend hours posting on forums and searching for a little known app which does a shoddy job of it tbh, but beggers can't be choosers. I feel so ****ing honored. Isn't that so brilliant of apple? They've left of a feature to keep expensive, rubbish apps running.

I understand that all os's are different, but i have more options on my toaster than os x.

22. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I agree with the OP, that screen is cool, maybe it's nostalgia though and you'd get bored with it after a few days..

I remember my first install coming over from Windows.. it was like interface heaven.

23. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

hehe :)

Same for me.

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm actually surprised how stable the Gnome/Human theme look has been in Ubuntu -- it really hasn't changed that much over the years. It was rumored for a while that 8.04 I think was supposed to bring a visual overhaul, but then 9.04 is very similar to the 6's and 7's...

Apparently the announcement was once again that Karmic Koala will see a new interface... but I wonder if it will actually happen. It's a fairly pretty interface, and particularly compared to other distributions, Ubuntu has done, to me, a great job in implementing a base set of compiz features that makes the OS shine without going overboard.