:( I miss VirtueDesktops [as opposed to spaces]

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sinistersai4d, Nov 17, 2007.

1. sinistersai4d macrumors member

sinistersai4d

I miss the way my screen would rotate like a cube on it's axis. Spaces just slithers off to the side.

I miss the way people would stop and stare at the smooth transition from one desktop to the next.

I miss being able to name my desktops "The Good" "The Bad" and "The Fugly" respectively... and instead having to use 1, 2, 3, and 4 with Spaces.

I miss the way Virtue Desktops would smirk at me in the morning after a night of raunchy sex.

Am I right in my assessment that Virtue Desktops is not compatible with Leopard, as when i try and run the application it does nothing.

Discuss.

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I used "You Control Desktops" and the sex was good.

I even got other transitions aside from "cube" - twirl, vortex, dissolve. The transitions were smooth and great. And you could have DIFFERENT folders and backgrounds on each desktop!

Unfortunately, I have this thing against not paying for sex. So after 30 days, it locked on me.

Not sure if it's compatible with Leopard, but it's tempted me from time to time. I just want to get rid of "auto-snap-to" every time an application is launched on another space. (for example, Parallels is dedicated to space 2) but if I'm not IN space 2 when it starts. Auto-snap crashes it.

3. sinistersai4d thread starter macrumors member

sinistersai4d

^VirtueDesktops also had a bunch of transitions.. and i think it even lets you have different backgrounds..... but having folders for specific desktops sounds pretty interesting.

Edit: i just downloaded the demo and it seems Fukking great!.. thanks man.. i might actually buy this after i search for a crack for a month.. if i find one I'll post here.

But i can honestly say this is even better than Virtue Desktops at first glance...

Macrumors.com... where dreams come to life!

4. sinistersai4d thread starter macrumors member

sinistersai4d

I do have a question though.. how can you specify what windows stay in both desktops? For some reason Adium stays in both but i can't figure out how to get firefox to stay in both also...

And say im' in desktop 2 and i want to open a finder window.. if i try and open a new finder window it will only open it in window number 1???? in spaces and virtue desktops you can specify which windows are accessible from both desktops.

I must be overlooking something....

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It under the spaces pref, you have to add the app in the bottom frame and then choose all spaces from the drop down on the right for that app

Attached Files:

6. sinistersai4d thread starter macrumors member

sinistersai4d

um... i think you missed the jist of my question. I was refering to YCD* as mentioned above... not Spaces. As i stated in my question.. i know how to accomodate windows in particular desktops with VirtualDesktops and with Spaces.. so i want to know how to do it with YCD as well, since i want to use that in place of Spaces.

*You Control Desktops will be refered to as YCD for the remainder of .... eternity.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Ooops, missed that one. It's late, I should sleep.

8. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Buy me a registration key and I'll tell you! :D

Honestly - I did it, but can't remember because it's been a while since I've gotten locked out. Sorry.

9. sinistersai4d thread starter macrumors member

sinistersai4d

Ok .. figured it out.. have to set the menu from pallet view to menu view highlight the desktop.. then the program... then check "Show in EVERY" windows to have it in both.. or "Show in ANY" window to allow it to be dragged to both..

kinda gotta play around with it.. hopefully this will help... although i appear to be the only one who needs help anyway lol...

[​IMG]

10. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Is that desktop of yours "Globe West 2048.jpg" because it looks a LOT like my desktop from last month. :)

11. sinistersai4d thread starter macrumors member

sinistersai4d

Nope it's called Earth and it was included with Leopard. :)

[​IMG]

12. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Well, I had that back on Tiger! It was a hi-res photo I grabbed off of a Nasa website somewhere, exact same cloud cover and all. So I have the ORIGINAL!

I also have the matching photo for the Eastern Hemisphere... yah, keep on wishing. You know you want that for desktop # 2 with the cube effect. :D

13. terryjonesxp macrumors newbie

Virtue Works With Mac OS 10.5.2

Great news using a new intel imac I was able to get virtue desktops to work with leopard 10.5.2. The trick is to install the application then drag it to the trash and reinstall. Preference settings set saved to the plist section. Also you can run spaces and virtue at the same time. The things that will not work are the the mouse settings under triggers you can only set keyboard blindings.

14. brand macrumors 601

brand

It's against the forum rules. Thanks for telling us how cheap and dishonest you are.