I moved my documents folder to my desktop..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by starstruck7, Oct 18, 2010.

1. starstruck7 macrumors newbie

I moved my documents folder to my desktop and it disappeared and then i found another folder for my documents and moved it to my dock. And then a icon for my documents ended up on my desktop. When I delete the documents folder on my desktop the format for all my .rar files change to .vlc format. And if I keep the documents on my desktop the files are alright and I'm still able to use it. I tried changing the type of format but it still doesn't work. Does anyone know what I can do to delete the documents folder off of my desktop and keep the format the same??

Thanks

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

When you first dragged the documents folder, was it from the Finder sidebar or the actual folder? The sidebar is just an alias so it'll 'poof' away when you drag it off. Is that what you mean by disappear?

Where did you find this "other" folder for your Documents? There is only one in your Home folder titled Documents by default.

When you say the files change, the actual extension changes from .rar to .vlc or is it only the default application that changes? I'm not aware of any way dragging a folder would change the extension.

What is the current state your Documents folder is in? Is it in your Home folder and your Desktop or just Desktop?

3. starstruck7 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I first dragged my documents folder to my desktop it was from my dock.

After that I went to the home folder and put it into my dock.

The extension is still .rar but its previewed as a .vlc icon but like I am not able to extract the file. And I am not able to change the "open with" feature.

Right now I have a documents folder in my dock, my desktop and my Home folder.

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Ok much clearer now. I'm not sure how the .rar got reset to open with VLC but it shouldn't be related to your Documents folder. First, like the Finder sidebar, the Documents folder in your Dock is simply a shortcut to the actual folder. Is it a copy of your Documents folder on your Desktop or an alias? You don't need it there if you don't want.

To fix the .rar issue:

1) Right click a .rar file
    2) Click 'Get Info'
    3) Change the 'Open with:' to your favorite unzipper
    4) Click the 'Change All...' button

You should be set after doing that.

5. starstruck7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind, I somehow got it. But Thank You So Much for Your Help!! :]