I moved to iOS, and these are the things I miss about Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MitchellGoudie, Feb 6, 2016.

1. MitchellGoudie macrumors newbie

MitchellGoudie

I had the Nexus 6P, but as I take a lot of video, the lack of OIS really was a killer for me, so I made the jump to iOS to see which one I prefer. I'm still a baby iOS user, but I do feel like it's superior, but there are a few things I miss from Android (a.k.a. Nexus 6P).

https://www.the-newshub.com/lifestyl...-about-android

2. I7guy macrumors G5

There are different styles in both the operating systems, use the one that you prefer. But if you want help or pointers MacRumors is great for that.

3. MitchellGoudie thread starter macrumors newbie

MitchellGoudie

Yeah, I'm noticing that they both have very different approaches to everyday tasks.

4. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Let us know what you are looking for and we will help.
    We are strange yet helpful bunch.

5. I7guy macrumors G5

That's true and what matters is what you like and prefer. There are advantages to each; you decide.:)

6. MitchellGoudie thread starter macrumors newbie

MitchellGoudie

Thank you! Ideally I'd like a way for my pictures and video to be backed up by Google Photos automatically, without me having to keep the app open and on screen. If you could tell me how to do that I'd be so grateful!

7. DanielDD macrumors 6502

To be fair, your 4th point is a problem with Instagram which does not create an option to share the photo and your 6th point has nothing to do with the phone but with the charger you use. If you want fast charging on your iPhone 6S+ plug it to the wall with your Nexus brick adapter.

8. MitchellGoudie thread starter macrumors newbie

MitchellGoudie

I know that the problem is with Instagram, alas it does not exist on Android, so I included it. Also, I already do use my Nexus brick adapter, but as the iPhone 6s+ does not natively support some kind of fast charging (such as Qualcomm's fast charging), it isn't really that much faster unfortunately.

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Allow it to use cellular data and you're in.

10. MitchellGoudie thread starter macrumors newbie

MitchellGoudie

I already do, and unfortunately, that still doesn't work.

11. DanielDD macrumors 6502

That's odd, my 6S goes from 0 to 100% in about 2h30m with its adapter and 1h30m with my iPads'. I guess it's not 'as fast' as Android phones, but it's a nice boost nonetheless.
    My point here is, try to find some workaround for your problems. For example, if you don't have a credit card, you can buy some iTunes gift cards in your local mall, download a third party camera app.
    I know there are not perfect solutions, but they're better than nothing.

12. MitchellGoudie thread starter macrumors newbie

MitchellGoudie

I know you're trying to help, and I am thankful, but the point of the post was not to show workarounds for common problems and issues, the point was to show what I, an android user for many years, missed when I made the switch to iOS.

13. DanielDD macrumors 6502

I get it. When I made the switch I ended up missing the ability to use my phone as a pendrive. I'm still waiting for a miracle to happen in cupertino :)

14. MitchellGoudie thread starter macrumors newbie

MitchellGoudie

Haha yeah, I didn't use my phone like that so I didn't include it; completely subjective of course. Maybe with the next iteration we'll get a few nice features, doubt it about the pendrive one though ;-)

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Wouldn't it be useful to find some workarounds to the issues as part of it rather than just have a list of issues on their own and nothing else?

16. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

I have a Note 5 and iPhone 6s+ and switch back and forth all the time. There are things about both phones that I LOVE. there are also things that drive me crazy about both phones and Android and IOS.
    If you can keep both phones....that is nirvana!
    I really miss the back button and homescreen widgets the most when switching to my iphone. I really miss battery life and overall smoothness when switching to my note 5.
    There are great reason to choose either phone or platform. You just have to see which one fits your usage best.

17. MitchellGoudie thread starter macrumors newbie

MitchellGoudie

Completely Agree! I had the Note 5 and it drove me crazy, touchwiz just wasn't for me ;-)

18. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Did you also give it permission to run in the background?

19. MitchellGoudie thread starter macrumors newbie

MitchellGoudie

Yep!

20. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

That's really weird. Mine updates flawlessly in the background. There must be an overlooked setting somewhere....

21. MitchellGoudie thread starter macrumors newbie

MitchellGoudie

I'v
    I've gone over all the settings 100 times, still have to open the app for it to backup my photos and videos.

22. Rhonindk, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016

Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Have you looked in Settings > Google Photos > Photos and Background App Refresh are on?

Both my 6S+ and Mini 4 backup photos in the background :confused:
    It will backup faster if the app is open on the foreground.

23. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

Background app refresh doesn't work very well for third party apps especially Google ones for some reason. I have the same issue as you for Google photos even with official and beta iOS 9 versions.

24. MitchellGoudie thread starter macrumors newbie

MitchellGoudie

Yep! All settings are enabled and it still doesn't work
    --- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2016 ---
    I hope it's something that'll be fixd in the next iOS 9 update or maybe even iOS 10.