Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There are different styles in both the operating systems, use the one that you prefer. But if you want help or pointers MacRumors is great for that.

MitchellGoudie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
There are different styles in both the operating systems, use the one that you prefer. But if you want help or pointers MacRumors is great for that.

Yeah, I'm noticing that they both have very different approaches to everyday tasks.

MitchellGoudie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Let us know what you are looking for and we will help.
We are strange yet helpful bunch.
Thank you! Ideally I'd like a way for my pictures and video to be backed up by Google Photos automatically, without me having to keep the app open and on screen. If you could tell me how to do that I'd be so grateful!

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
To be fair, your 4th point is a problem with Instagram which does not create an option to share the photo and your 6th point has nothing to do with the phone but with the charger you use. If you want fast charging on your iPhone 6S+ plug it to the wall with your Nexus brick adapter.

MitchellGoudie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
To be fair, your 4th point is a problem with Instagram which does not create an option to share the photo and your 6th point has nothing to do with the phone but with the charger you use. If you want fast charging on your iPhone 6S+ plug it to the wall with your Nexus brick adapter.

I know that the problem is with Instagram, alas it does not exist on Android, so I included it. Also, I already do use my Nexus brick adapter, but as the iPhone 6s+ does not natively support some kind of fast charging (such as Qualcomm's fast charging), it isn't really that much faster unfortunately.

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
I know that the problem is with Instagram, alas it does not exist on Android, so I included it. Also, I already do use my Nexus brick adapter, but as the iPhone 6s+ does not natively support some kind of fast charging (such as Qualcomm's fast charging), it isn't really that much faster unfortunately.

That's odd, my 6S goes from 0 to 100% in about 2h30m with its adapter and 1h30m with my iPads'. I guess it's not 'as fast' as Android phones, but it's a nice boost nonetheless.
My point here is, try to find some workaround for your problems. For example, if you don't have a credit card, you can buy some iTunes gift cards in your local mall, download a third party camera app.
I know there are not perfect solutions, but they're better than nothing.

MitchellGoudie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
That's odd, my 6S goes from 0 to 100% in about 2h30m with its adapter and 1h30m with my iPads'. I guess it's not 'as fast' as Android phones, but it's a nice boost nonetheless.
My point here is, try to find some workaround for your problems. For example, if you don't have a credit card, you can buy some iTunes gift cards on your local mall, download a third party camera app.
I know there are not perfect solutions, but they're better than nothing.

I know you're trying to help, and I am thankful, but the point of the post was not to show workarounds for common problems and issues, the point was to show what I, an android user for many years, missed when I made the switch to iOS.

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
I know you're trying to help, and I am thankful, but the point of the post was not to show workarounds for common problems and issues, the point was to show what I, an android user for many years, missed when I made the switch to iOS.

I get it. When I made the switch I ended up missing the ability to use my phone as a pendrive. I'm still waiting for a miracle to happen in cupertino :)

MitchellGoudie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
I get it. When I made the switch I ended up missing the ability to use my phone as a pendrive. I'm still waiting for a miracle to happen in cupertino :)

Haha yeah, I didn't use my phone like that so I didn't include it; completely subjective of course. Maybe with the next iteration we'll get a few nice features, doubt it about the pendrive one though ;-)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wouldn't it be useful to find some workarounds to the issues as part of it rather than just have a list of issues on their own and nothing else?

Reactions: ABC5S and I7guy

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I have a Note 5 and iPhone 6s+ and switch back and forth all the time. There are things about both phones that I LOVE. there are also things that drive me crazy about both phones and Android and IOS.
If you can keep both phones....that is nirvana!
I really miss the back button and homescreen widgets the most when switching to my iphone. I really miss battery life and overall smoothness when switching to my note 5.
There are great reason to choose either phone or platform. You just have to see which one fits your usage best.

MitchellGoudie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
I have a Note 5 and iPhone 6s+ and switch back and forth all the time. There are things about both phones that I LOVE. there are also things that drive me crazy about both phones and Android and IOS.
If you can keep both phones....that is nirvana!
I really miss the back button and homescreen widgets the most when switching to my iphone. I really miss battery life and overall smoothness when switching to my note 5.
There are great reason to choose either phone or platform. You just have to see which one fits your usage best.

Completely Agree! I had the Note 5 and it drove me crazy, touchwiz just wasn't for me ;-)

MitchellGoudie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
I'v
That's really weird. Mine updates flawlessly in the background. There must be an overlooked setting somewhere....

I've gone over all the settings 100 times, still have to open the app for it to backup my photos and videos.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I'v

I've gone over all the settings 100 times, still have to open the app for it to backup my photos and videos.
Have you looked in Settings > Google Photos > Photos and Background App Refresh are on?

Both my 6S+ and Mini 4 backup photos in the background :confused:
It will backup faster if the app is open on the foreground.

Last edited:

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
I'v

Background app refresh doesn't work very well for third party apps especially Google ones for some reason. I have the same issue as you for Google photos even with official and beta iOS 9 versions.

MitchellGoudie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Have you looked in Settings > Google Photos > Photos and Background App Refresh are on?

Both my 6S+ and Mini 4 backup photos in the background :confused:
It will backup faster if the app is open on the foreground.

Yep! All settings are enabled and it still doesn't work
[doublepost=1454796465][/doublepost]
Background app refresh doesn't work very well for third party apps especially Google ones for some reason. I have the same issue as you for Google photos even with official and beta iOS 9 versions.

I hope it's something that'll be fixd in the next iOS 9 update or maybe even iOS 10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.