I moved to linux... should I sell my rmbp15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by surjavarman, Dec 6, 2014.

1. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

A month ago I had an old thinkpad lying around and out of boredom I bought a new ssd and installed linux on it. I have been using this laptop ever since instead of my rmbp15 (mid 2012).

To be honest this thing has 1/3 the battery life of my mbp, is slower, does not have retina and its thicker. But in terms of os I don't miss anything at all. Facetime is a huge blow. I am using google hangouts now with friends but frankly its not as good as facetime/imessage. In terms of productivity I might even be faster on Linux than on OS X because of my choice of UI but thats tough to say.

I also noticed that pixar and hollywood are all using linux. I was thinking I could still get some money if I sell my rmbp. Should I do it?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You do realize that you could just run Linux on your rMBP. Right?

B

3. surjavarman thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

It's up to you - I get the impression you've already made up your mind.

Honestly I'd rather use OS X, because as I see it, OS X is Linux but with better commercial support for end-user applications.

If you're perfectly happy with Linux and what it offers and you're also perfectly happy with your old non-retina MacBook Pro then by all means sell the Retina MBP and make some money.