I must vent my frustration somewhere. Sorry.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mattcube64, Nov 6, 2007.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

... Okay, the BlueTooth Mighty Mouse is garbage. Total trash.

I'm a big Mac fan... I recommend all their products to my friends and family. However, I bought my MM to go along with my Macbook several months ago, and I absolutely hate it.

First off... in no way, shape, or form is it comfortable. It reminds me of the pack-in Dell mouse we got with our PIII system so many years ago. Ugh.

Secondly, it's only got four buttons. Which is alright in OSX, since the software, by default, only offers four button support. But when booting into Windows, it can be quite irritating to only have four button support, especially in games.

You can't left and right click at the same time.

From time to time (although, it is rare), the BT hangs up.

However, my NUMBER ONE biggest complaint is the stupid-as-hell scroll bar that gets the smallest amount of gunk under it, rendering the entire thing useless. At least once a week, I have to get out the iKlear, or the compressed air, or just pray to re-establish my ability to scroll up and down a page. It just randomly stopped scrolling down about 15 minutes, and I've spent the last quarter of an hour trying to get it to work to no prevail.

At the price this mouse costs, it is certainly not worth it. At all.

/rant

2. mpw Guest

I'm sure OSX will see more than four buttons if there's more there, I had a five button MS BT mouse that worked fine, and was very comfortable.

Don't assume that if the mouse won't scroll down there's dirt in there. My MM wouldn't scroll down in Safari all of a sudden last week, but it would scroll up and side-to-side etc. thing is it scrolled down in other apps. just not Safari.

I did nothing but curse at it, but it was working again the next day. Try restarting Safari, or opening mouse preferences in system preferences and changing something, anything and then changing it back, this sems to reset the mouse sometimes when it's 'forgotten' what I told it to do with it's right button.

3. admiraldennis macrumors regular

It's common knowledge that the Mighty Mouse is a terrible product.

You should have done some research before buying it.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

knowledge is power

5. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I love my BT MM. I have no problems with any of it other than the side buttons are harder to press than they should be.

Love the scroll ball, love the way it glides.

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I loved the Mighty Mouse but the scroll ball did it for me. One day while being incredibly frustrated with it getting crap under it I tried forcing it out and now it doesn't work at all. I don't suppose my warranty will cover this?

7. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Yup, I can totally agree with you. I owned one for about 2 hours one day, and promptly returned it to CompUSA.

In my experience, Logitech and Microsoft have the best mice out there, in terms of responsiveness, tracking device stability and fidelity, multi-button support, and so forth.

Ultimately, I wound up buying a Logitech MX400, and haven't regretted it one little bit. Of course, I don't game and have no need for more than two buttons and a scroll wheel, but from what I understand, Logitech's higher-end mice are pretty well-respected by their owners, too.

8. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

I loved my MM, I upgraded to an MX Revolution, because I needed to be able to right-click and left-click at the same time, but other than that it was my only complaint. For the scroll wheel what I found worked well was too click it down, and then scroll it around a bunch, in my experience it worked really well. I never cleaned it for the 6 months I used it. I loved the 360-degree scrolling, and how it worked well on almost any surface(except shaggy carpet). And I have heard the BT version was even better on what it worked on. I am sorry it has caused you grief. If you are looking to upgrade I would suggest a Logitech mouse of some sort, their software is buggy, and often the settings you put in for the mouse in Logitech's SetPoint software don't work quite like they should, but the mice are great, and the software is livable with. If my MX revolution died I would probably still get another.:apple:

9. 98707 macrumors regular

Buy this

Here is pwn
    Logitech Cordless Desktop Laster S530 MAC

Back and forward arrows on mouse to go between my spaces. Mute/vol+/- on mouse.

back, home, mail, power, itunes, spotlight, iphoto, tunes controles, mute/vol+/- all on keyboard as well.

Download windows version drivers in bootcamped vista to get windows functionality.

pwn.

10. phuong macrumors 6502a

i have MX Rev, MX Nano, and MM.
    each of them serves different purposes.
    i like them all.

11. mattcube64 thread starter macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I managed to talk my mom into getting me the new G9 for Christmas... but I have to wait. Rarely will she front a gift... maybe if I share my frustration with her, lol.

12. jhkingsr macrumors regular

Sorry the BTMM is not for you. I use them on two of my Macs and they work flawlessly. Mouse choice is a personal preference and is very subjective. People should try before they buy if possible.