Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Ok so my backpack is about to die.
It was such a great backpack and it took care of all my needs, and now i need a new one.

Ihaven't looked at backpacks in years because this one was so great.
so if you have any sugestions i would love to hear them.

Some of the things i do need
- School (holds: two large textbooks, 2 large binders, lunch, laptop, jacket)
- Surfing / body boarding (holds: fins, towel, water, wax and such)
- Hiking (holds: water bladder)
- Snowboarding (holds: boots, board, some clothing, water bladder)
- Biking (holds: water bladder, pump)
- Skating (holds: board)

My old backpack had things i definitely need on a new one.
- A place for books that is at least, 7in thick x 13in wide x 12in high
- Laptop part that can hold a 15.4in macbook pro and has to be a different part from books
- Another place to put about a lunch bag, the soft kind that is around 12in high x 2-4in thick x 8in wide
- A place to hold pens and pencils and a fairly large calculator. (right now it is in a goggle holder, because its easy access)
- A plus would be a wet storage area that can drain
- A way of attaching a snowboard or skateboard
- Side pouches would be a plus

My backpack right is a snowboarding backpack and has
- Compartments that were all in orange plastic material that is water proof and can be used as a signal if stranded
- A very large compartment ( i can fit all my book and is big enough to put snowboarding boots into) with a water bladder area and on the top is a goggle place that a mp3 player can be run from also.
- A place for a wet suit which is where i normally put my laptop
- 2 zip able side pouches.
- Then a compartment on the front that is for all my pens and things of that nature and is actually really large and i put my lunch in here.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Some of the things i do need
- School (holds: two large textbooks, 2 large binders, lunch, laptop, jacket)
- Surfing / body boarding (holds: fins, towel, water, wax and such)
- Hiking (holds: water bladder)
- Snowboarding (holds: boots, board, some clothing, water bladder)
- Biking (holds: water bladder, pump)
- Skating (holds: board)

If you're going to carry all that at the same time, you don't need a backpack, you need a wheelbarrow. :p

Seriously though, I use a pullaround briefcase instead of a backpack. One pouch holds my calculator, pens/pencils, business cards, voice recorder, etc.; one holds a notebook and several folders full of papers; one holds my laptop, mouse, camera, flashlight, card reader, etc.; and the largest one can carry a change of clothes, a pad holder, and some other items.

EDIT: Assuming you don't carry your laptop with you when you're snowboarding, would it work out for you to have one backpack for snowboarding and something else for your laptop/books/etc.?

CalPoly10

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
Hey man, you seem like an outdoorsy guy. I think I'm the same type of person as you, so here's my recommendation.

Get yourself a decent school/laptop/traveling backpack. One that you could throw your books, laptop, and maybe some other things in for class, going home, or whatever.

Then, get yourself an outdoors backpack. One for your surf stuff, bike stuff, and everything else. You aren't going to want to mix your outdoor gear with your school/tech gear.

Think about it. You want to go surfing after the library. Now you need to put all of your stuff in one backpack, hit the beach with your laptop? No thanks.

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
so i found i backpack :)
took a while and ya it seems big but my backpack right now is 43 litters and this is 48 or something.
max-vulture2-od.jpg

Max Archer

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2009
Maxpedition packs are really nice stuff. I've had a few of their products for years, and they've held up really well. Had the smaller version of that pack for a while, and I'm still using a rifle case that I bought about six years ago and have used heavily. Only issue I've found is that their clip-on straps suck - I broke the one on my gun bag when I had to transport a few old rifles that my friend didn't have a case for, and it snapped off while I was carrying it.

They backpack shouldn't be an issue, though.

Also take a look at Blackhawk Tactical if you like the "military" style, their stuff is pretty nicely made, and they've got a bigger lineup than Maxpedition.

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
i don't really care what style it is actually at all.

all i care about is durability, practically, and usefulness.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
North Face makes some pretty nice bags that seem very durable.

I agree. North Face packs are great. While North Face sometimes over charges for their jackets and other clothes, their backpacks have always been priced pretty low for the great quality they are! Not to mention the packs are super durable and fit very well for all of the outdoor activities you want. My suggestion would be go to an REI or outdoor store near you that sells North Face, check out their packs and find one you like, there are many many varieties. Then if you want, find it cheaper online! Check out the North Face Recon pack, that has been one of my favorite for a long time. It has a laptop padded area, main compartment for books etc, a second large pocket with organization in it for sandwich, calc, iPod etc and it has a great mesh sleeve on the outside that you can stick wet gear in to let it dry out.

pooky

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
I really like my camelbak. I have the "Alpine Exlporer." Lots of room, holds lots of water, has a faux frame made out of foam to keep your back happy. Works great.

Xfujinon

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
My Swiss Army backpack has taken every kind of pounding you can throw at it outside of Special Ops or climbing Everest.

I love it.

I routinely carry:

Five spiral bound note packets for class (5 inches)
A textbook (1 inch)
Thermos (on the left side)
Water bottle (on the right side)
Lunch (glasslock container, atop the books in the main pocket)
Ti83 Calculator
About 20 pens
Moleskine book
Sketchbook

That all fits nicely in my backpack, and the weight distribution feels pretty good.

Try it!

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
I agree. North Face packs are great. While North Face sometimes over charges for their jackets and other clothes, their backpacks have always been priced pretty low for the great quality they are! Not to mention the packs are super durable and fit very well for all of the outdoor activities you want. My suggestion would be go to an REI or outdoor store near you that sells North Face, check out their packs and find one you like, there are many many varieties. Then if you want, find it cheaper online! Check out the North Face Recon pack, that has been one of my favorite for a long time. It has a laptop padded area, main compartment for books etc, a second large pocket with organization in it for sandwich, calc, iPod etc and it has a great mesh sleeve on the outside that you can stick wet gear in to let it dry out.

I agree with the above to a point: I have had three NF Recon II backpacks. I had stitching on the shoulder straps start to come apart on the first two. I took them back to REI (which was where I had purchased them) and BAM! Replaced.

For me, buying from REI was a little more expensive but came with a lot better service than buying from online retailers. YMMV.

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
Go to a military supply store and get either a military-style rucksack (MOLLE would be better than ALICE because of the back support, but both have plenty of room) or at the very least get a seabag because of the huge amount of space in one. You might also consider a Bora 95 pack from Arc'Teryx, because that is what the USMC ILBE rucksack is based off of.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
No no. Its Rescue Pack from Go Diego Go! Purple backpack can't do nearly as much.
Well, see... to me, it sounds like the OP already has a zipcord, a snowboard, whatever he needs.

What he *really* needs in a backpack is something that always has exactly what he's looking for inside it whenever he needs is, as well as an endless capacity.

I figure the talking GPS with a New York Jewish accent; and some form of disturbance in the space-time fabric that allows one to carry around several stars at any given time are just nice extras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.