I need a bigger hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by someone28624, Jan 19, 2009.

1. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I only have like 8 gb left on my macbook's hard drive. Are there any programs I can run that will defrag/free up space?

How much does Apple Store typically charge to upgrade a hard drive?

How easy is it to do myself?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

its very easy to swap out yourself

go to newegg.com and look at any 2.5 sata hard drives

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

There are no programs that can magically free up hard drive space (yet :D). But upgrading the hard drive in the MacBooks is very easy and you could do it yourself without too much hassle. The hard drive is literally right there when you remove the battery. (Here's a guide if you need one)

4. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I haven't tried them out myself, but have a look at these tips.

5. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Thanks for the link, I'm having the same problem with my macbook and I think I'm going to use monolingual and xslimmer.

ChrisN

6. applgeek macrumors member

Upgrading the Hard drive is actually quite simple. If you have never worked on computers, you might get nervous, but just remember to use an ice cube tray or magnet to hold screws and you're fine. I upgraded the Hard drive in my old macbook 2 years ago. Assuming you have a plastic macbook, it should be relatively easy. You will need to buy a tool that can unscrew small torx screws. You can get this at The Home depot. It is Under the husky brand, and is a small Tan and black handle with double sided bits. It usually costs $6-$8.

Here is a video of the drive install.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c6ckjy-gdY

Just so you know, apple will probably charge quite a bit to install a hard drive, and they will most likely keep the drive.

Newegg is a good recommendation for hard drives. Heres a link.
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=380&name=Laptop-Hard-Drives

You can search by capacity by clicking on the size you want on the side bar under Capacity. Just get the cheapest one. I do not recommend Seagates or Maxtors. All the other ones pretty much do the same thing.