I need a cable for my car setup (does this exist?)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Natesac, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I am looking for a cable for my iPhone 3g. I need one that plugs into the dock connector and has audio out and USB (for charging)

Does anyone know if this is available for iPhone 3G?

2. BiggyG macrumors newbie

I had a lot of difficulty with this in relation to docking my iPhone in my car.

There are a number of cigarette lighter chargers for the iphone which work with iphone 1, and ipods but not with iphone 3g. After a bit of research it appears that the 12v pins in the dock connector aren't connected to anything inside iphone 3g. So previous chargers that just take the 12v connection from your car just dont work.

What needs to happen now is that the car adapter has to change the power and route ith theough the usb chargin pins in the dock connector. All the ones advertised in the Apple Store will do this, as long as they say they will work for iPhone 3g. I opted for the Griffin Powerjot SE.

As for the audio option, it really depends on the setup of your car stereo.

I myself have an Alpine head unit which has a usb connection. I simply use a standard ipod lead into the dock connector which then allows me to control my iphone through my head unit. This also charges the iphone at the same time. However, my Alpine head unit is not designed to work with iphone, and i get the unauthorised accessory warning on the iphone when i plug it in. It does work reasonably well, apart from static when the iphone is searching for signal or switching data networks. As such i use my 80gb ipod plugged into the head unit, and dont use the iphone for music in the car.

I would have thought if you have a head unit with usb, it would charge the iphone anyway, with just a standard ipod usb to dock connector lead.

If you're planning on using the aux jacks on the back of a head unit, you'll prob have to opt for a standard audio cable with aux connector on one end, which plugs into the headphone jack of the iphone at the other end. Then use the cigarette lighter i suggested earlier.

If you're looking for a cradle for iphone as well, i'd recommend the Brodit cradle, its very solid when its mounted with the appropriate proclip, and you can just plug the dock connector cable in the bottom of the cradle, and drop the iphone in when you get in the car.

3. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

well I already have a head unit that I like and I don plan on putting a new one in this car cause indoubt I will have it that long.

I already have a USB outlet in the car. (power only)

So all I need is a cable that is a dock connector on one end and L & R RCA (or headphone jack) and a USB on the other.

Like a standard iPhone cable with the addition of L & R RCA audio jacks on the USB end.

Does someone make one of these that will work with iPhone 3g?