I need :A complete and utter guide to everything about the white nVidia macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Theirishjoey, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Theirishjoey macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I am going to be buying a white nVidia macbook VERY soon and would like to know everything that is necessary before I actually buy it, to lessen the learning curve.
    It would also be helpful resource for anyone else who wishes to own one or already owns one.

Thanks,
    Joey

2. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

You might have better luck getting a response if you had some specific questions. Just a thought :)

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

if you are going to buy the white macbook. you might as well spend the extra 300 bucks and get something that's worth having for the next 5 years. namely the unibody.

i'm so happy i didn't skimp

4. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

Well I'd politely disagree there, the whitebook has almost the same internals as the unibody, and case in point my iBook G4 still looks almost new after 5 years. Whitebook is an awesome deal if you ask me.

5. xkRoWx macrumors regular

xkRoWx

Whitebook uses DDR2, if I recall correctly. Whitebook is also bulkier than unibody (thickness wise).

I'd rather take the unibody to future proof my purchase.

6. kasakka macrumors 65816

How is it any more future proof? The performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3 is next to none with current machines and DDR2 memory will be available for a long time. Both the unibody and the whitebook have pretty crappy screens so the aluminum body, lack of FireWire, the mini-DP port's ability to support higher resolutions than 1920x1200 and a better touchpad are the only real differences.

7. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

why should waste our time if you're not willing to put forth the time to read on your own?

if you think about what you're asking for, it's a lot that can easily be answered by going to a review.

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

before you go around stating facts - let's make sure you aren't missing any here.

in addition to what you listed... (minus mentioning the unibody's glass display (vs. the polycarbonate's gross plastic)...

there is a 1066MHz front side bus on the unibody - and only a 800MHz on the polycarbonate.

there is a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics card w/256MB of shared RAM on the unibody

vs a lowly Intel GMA X3100 w/144MB graphics

a 1GB Standard DDR2 RAM (PC5300) vs 2GB Standard PC8500 DDR3

the unibody reigns supreme in form (by far) and here comes hte punchline.... FUNCTION :)

10. Spunky424 macrumors newbie

i think he is comparing the new unibody to the upgraded white macbook with the 9400M graphics also. Yes they did upgrade the white macbook to 2gbs and a dedicated vid card selling for $999

11. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

You seem to have missed the launch of the latest whitebook :D

12. whitemacbook macrumors member

whitemacbook

well it's obvious where I stand on the uni Vs white ....

13. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

14. tonedef407 macrumors regular

It's literally in the thread topic that it's got nVidia

15. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

whitebook now has the 9400M

16. PuckDaddy macrumors regular

PuckDaddy

the nVidia Whitebook also has 1066mhz FSB
    the only differences are the DDR3 ram / slightly larger (still crappy) HDD, an LED backlight for the display, the buttonless trackpad, and the shell itself

the nVidia Macbook is a last rev. device, meaning it's a refined machined, with almost all of the bugs worked out

the unibody MB is a rev1 product (sorta) and it'll take awhile for it to settle in.

17. xkRoWx macrumors regular

xkRoWx

18. Theirishjoey thread starter macrumors member

19. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Unibodies have a LED screen and better battery life, that's more than enough for me to spend the extra $300.

Unibody = lighter and feels much more solid. My plastic whitebook creaks and makes noises when I pick it up.