I need a conversion service

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Goofy Yno, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Goofy Yno macrumors member

I just bought my new i mac with the express purpose of stopping my procrastination on editing my home movies. (I have yet to see the film I took of my newborn son- he is now 8!!:eek:)

So I have a bunch (although, not as many as I should) of old tapes, in different formats- mostly Mini DV, some bigger tapes., and of course no camera. After the last one broke I bought a Canon Vixia HF200 (flash).

So does anyone have any leads on companies that can do this at a reasonable price. (or, if giving names is not allowed on this forum) what should I look for.

Is conversion to DVD my best bet? It there anything else I need to do/know for it to run better on i movie?

thanks

2. jla930 macrumors member

Do a Google search on "video conversion service". They may be able to convert everything you have and put it all on flash memory cards; I'm not sure. You'd have to ask them. If they could, then you could load the card into your Canon, then capture it straight into iMovie.

If you convert your media straight to DVD, I'm not sure how you would get it off the DVD and into iMovie. Someone else would have to answer that. I do know that DVD ripper software would be needed.

3. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Do it yourself and save some cash. first, you have to get it in the mac. If iMovie will import it, then your good to go chopping it up and burning it to dvd. If imovie will not import it, get mpeg streamclip (free) and convert it so iMovie will import it. Now, if all you have are the tapes or discs and not the device that made them, you have no choice but find a place to put them on a dvd. one thing to remenber is any conversion process knocks a little quality off the video.

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

He doesn't have the camera(s)! How should he import it then? Well you could indeed do it yourself by buying a cheap camera, as long as it supports the tapes, so if you have different sizes, you need different cameras. Doesn't matter if it's on a cheap camera, it only has to read and have firewire, or ilink as sony calls firewire. So if I make a rough guess, you'd be spending 150 dollars. (if you get them second hand and such).

You'll have to connect the camera with firewire (if you have the older imac you need firewire400 pin to 4 pin https://store.boutiquemac.ca/media/...da06f020e43594a9c230972d/6/2/625449110747.jpg, if you have the newer imac you need firewire800 to 4 pin http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=610&sku=50708, or have a daisy chain with a external hard drive with firewire400 and use the firewire 400 to 4 pin. Oh yes, this sounds so logic doesn't it:p).

iMovie should recognize the camera, and you should be able to import it into iMovie.

Say you don't want all this hassle and just want a company to do it for you, search for one. Ask if they can give you the files in a ".mov container with dv as codec". iMovie loves this format, you should be able to edit right away.

Maybe it sounds complicated, but I hope it helps.

5. Goofy Yno thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, ".mov container with dv as codec" that is what I was looking for.

and, for another stupid question- I'm assuming i have this written on a flash drive or can it be written on a dvd?

6. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

If I understand you right, it doesn't matter how they provide the files to you. When they put it on a dvd, make sure it are the files (.mov) and not a dvd that you can put into your dvd player, cause that is an entire different format you need to pay (on apple) to edit, after you've ripped it.

So as long as it are the files it doesn't really matter how you get them; internet, cd, dvd, flash, hard drive.

7. Keebler macrumors 68030

in the end, goofy might save some cash, but when you add up time, equipment needed and knowledge level to deal with transferring, it's worth it to pay someone. Sure, goofy can buy a camcorder to import most of the tapes, but what about colour correction or image stabilization - especially for older tapes? you need special equipment to get the best quality possible.

Also, you might be able to save some cash if you are willing to edit your movies and output to DVD yourself. Ask them to simply transfer the footage to hard drive in .mov format, which any reputable transfer services should offer at a slightly discounted price as opposed to transferring to DVD.

goofy, I'm sending you a pm.

cheers,
    keebler

8. Goofy Yno thread starter macrumors member

Arjen, you are right, I don't care how I get them. I want to edit them myself. I just don't want to have to buy three video camera to get them to a mac readable format.
    I just seems all the adds on google were for DV to dvd. (I'm sure most people doing this just want to pop the thing in a player an watch)