Mac I need a CPU intensive task/script

XPcentric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
My old Macbook 5,1 (2008) has a problem, it randomly shuts down. For doing the test I installed original Leopard on a formatted hard drive, so its not a software issue. Usually it shuts down when I work on it, but sometimes I find it shut down when I wake up in the morning the second day. Even the new installed Leopard doest not stay on until the morning, despite that I disabled hard drive sleep, disabled screen saver and power saving mode.

A service that repairs electronics suggested that it could be because of CPU overheating and I should service it for Changing Thermal Paste and cleaning the fan that cools the CPU.

Other hardware issues: I replaced the original battery 6 months ago and bought one made in China, but the icon reads "Not Charging" despite that it does charge really slow. I also re-soldered the original magsafe and I bought another one made in china.

So I want to test if the reason why my Macbook shuts down randomly is overheating, and I need a program that consumes lots of CPU continuously.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Open terminal and type..

yes > /dev/null &

You do that for however many cores you have. (1 line per core/thread)

If you open activity monitor you'll see the load.

To stop it type ...

$ killall yes
[doublepost=1495702415][/doublepost]This explains it a bit better...

http://osxdaily.com/2012/10/02/stress-test-mac-cpu/

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Open terminal and type..

yes > /dev/null &

You do that for however many cores you have. (1 line per core/thread)

If you open activity monitor you'll see the load.

To stop it type ...

$ killall yes
[doublepost=1495702415][/doublepost]This explains it a bit better...

http://osxdaily.com/2012/10/02/stress-test-mac-cpu/
Very nice! <sarcasm>I was going to send some recursive bitcoin operations for his CPU to solve.</sarcasm> Your idea is much more succinct and far less selfish.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Distributed Computing is alway nice to create some heavy load on the CPU: you can choose between Folding@Home or BOINC (e.g. Word Community Grid)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.