I need a DESK! Help me find one pls

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roadstarsoul, Jul 7, 2008.

1. roadstarsoul macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a desk. one that is specifically no wider than 36". I've been forced to use my MBP laying down or sitting up in bed. My back has started to have pain due to the positions while i work on the computer. I don't have much room so it must not be wider than 36".

I'm looking for something stylish/modern something that would suit well with my MBP. I've looked around and this was my first choice (http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=1070&f=28540)

Even though it goes past 36" i would be able to fit it in another corner of my room and still have space since it has the ability to slide under itself. Thing thing that got me was the $500 price tag. I'd like to spend 300 at most.

If you have any input please help me out.

Thanks!

2. roadstarsoul thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry, i forgot to mention i've looked into ikea furniture and didn't see much i liked over there. They do have some simple desks, so if it comes down to it i'll pick up one of the small cheap ones. but really, cheap stuff is what i'm trying to stay away from..

thx

3. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

pbteen.com = modern furniture
    potterybarn.com = country/classy
    crateandbarrel.com = modern luxury
    artvan.com = great furniture great price

4 very different categories :)

4. CleverUsername macrumors member

Thread Hijacker...

I would love to find a desk kind of like what they have in hospitals, legs only on one side so the base can tuck in under your bed while the tabletop portion is actually over your bed. I've even heard of ones that are adjustable angles as well, but I don't even know where to begin looking for one!

5. Alx9876 macrumors 6502a

Alx9876

6. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

I've looked at that desk at C&B and it's really nice, but do check out IKEA. Great desks for little money!

7. crabbydaddy2 macrumors member

ikea is great!
    they have such a great selection and offer quality furniture for very little.

i've been very unimpressed with pottery barn and crate and barrell furniture recently. for the price you pay you do not get quality anymore.

also for quality designer type furniture take a look at dwr.com
    authentic replicas of good furniture
    which will hold there value <B>extremely</b> well

8. Hates macrumors regular

I picked up a desk from Ikea for only about £25 last week. I got to pick the top and the type of legs seperately. Feels very sturdy and worth a lot more then what I actually paid. My desk is 47" wide, but they did have a 29" and 39" version.

[​IMG]

9. juanb3d macrumors newbie

Hey! That looks like a great set up! I just picked up a 24inch iMac and I am looking for a simple desk/table like this. What "model" of table is that? Is it comfy enough for keyboard and mouse usage?

10. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

looks like the vika series, could be galant.

11. Hates macrumors regular

Spot on! Someone knows their IKEA catalogue way too well :p I was going to get a Galant, but saw the Vika instore and was swayed by the better look and rediculous price.

It's fine for keyboard use. Mouse is a little rough on it but not too bad. I do a lot of photoshop work and it hasn't effected it in any way. I might try a mouse mat though to see if I prefer it.

12. pujapuri macrumors newbie

13. Hates macrumors regular

Logitech MX Revolution, with SteerMouse. The bundled software for OSX is pants.

14. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

If we are going to share some desks, and go a little OT, I gotta share my desk of desire, the Jimmy desk at modernlink. It's only $4800, well within the price range of a recently graduated designer, right?

15. juanb3d macrumors newbie

Wow. That is a nice one.

I have a mortgage so I'll go for the IKEA Vika though :D .

Thanks Hates and everyone for your replies!

Juan