Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wramirez1021

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
Hey everyone, this is my first post so hopefully i have some luck! I searched though but couldnt find any answer to my Specific problem..

Here's my question,

1) I am going to purchase a uMBP either today or tomorrow, I chose it over a 24" iMac because I need both the power and portability. However when at home I will be doing alot of Photoshop work and more than likely some work in Final Cut so I need a bigger display to hook my uMBP to.

2) I also have a PS3 that is currently hooked up to a 42" LG LCD HDTV, but due to a change in living situation I think 42" is a bit overkill for a bedroom so I am planning on getting rid of the television for a smaller, more bedroom friendly one.

3) So finally here is my question. What Display would you recommend that I could hook both my uMBP and my PS3 (preferably via HDMI) up to? Im looking in the 23-27" range and would like something that both the computer and PS3 would look good on. OR should I just focus on a display for the uMBP and by a smaller TV for my PS3?

Sorry for being so long-winded but help is appreciated! oh and here are a few monitors I was looking at.. Any Opinions?\

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005125

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001280

or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9274616&type=product&id=1218072891677

ymarker

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2009
Photoshop = get the largest monitor you can afford. Even the PS3 would look great on it. Look at the 30" monitors to give the most resolution (aka screen real estate). This will have more pixels than your 42" LG.

If you don't want to drop the $$ on the 30" the others are more for preference and ease of color calibration. Though you can buy adapter, I suggest buying a monitor with display port.

wramirez1021

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
Thanks! Anyone have suggestions on 30" monitors? with HDMI possibly? And price wise i would like to stay under 600, 500 would be evern better though!

p.s. Just got my 15" uMBP an hour ago! It is amazing...

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Just keep in mind the panel type in the monitors you are looking for if you care at all about your picture quality/viewing angles. Since you are doing photoshop frequently, do not even bother with anything with a TN panel (easy way to tell is if it has 160/170 degree viewing angles, rule them out). What you want is either a PVA or IPS panel, since both of those offer much better picture quality.

Take a look at Dell's Ultrasharp series, which are some of the best monitors around. They just released a 24" IPS, the U2410, the other week in North America for $599, and that is a crazy good deal considering what you are getting. Any of the Ultrasharps will allow you to hook up your MBP as well as your PS3 at the same time, that's actually what I do, I use the 2709W, basically the 27" version of the one I recommended, but with a PVA panel instead of IPS (Better for movies because of contrast levels).

The Samsung you linked to is said to be one of the nicest TN panels around, but it's still a TN.

Hope that helps out.

wramirez1021

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
Thanks! That Dell U2410 looks sweet. I think that might be the direction I will head in...i did some quick looking and it seems like you can only purchase that display on Dell's website. Do you know if this is available anywhere else? Somewhere I could pick it up preferably...

Thanks Again!

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks! That Dell U2410 looks sweet. I think that might be the direction I will head in...i did some quick looking and it seems like you can only purchase that display on Dell's website. Do you know if this is available anywhere else? Somewhere I could pick it up preferably...

Thanks Again!

Nah, Dell basically only sell out of their website, the only other retailers are other web-based stores. But honestly, Dell is very good with the whole ordering process, and they stand behind their Ultrasharp monitors firmly. Any tiny thing that is wrong or might be wrong, and they ship you a new one...simple as that, AND they pay for shipping both ways. I got a replacement because I THOUGHT the color of my monitor was off, making things look purple, but it was just a setting that I had, but still, they sent me a new one basically without questions. And unlike most monitor companies, Dell has a 1 pixel problem policy. 1 stuck/dead pixel, monitor replaced, no questions asked.

I say go for it. Shipping is quick too.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
If you want a 30" you need one with a scalar to use the PS3 with it. The Dell 3008WFP is a good choice. Maybe wait them to update it as U2410 is out and the 30" version should follow that. But generally you can't go wrong with a 30" as all are pretty decent, just might not fit your usage.

wramirez1021

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
Thanks for the info, Dell sounds pretty solid in terms of their S&H. I hate when Companies dont offer good S&H practices.....anywas, I wouldnt need a scaler for that 24'' Dell? And By update you mean they may be coming out with a 30'' Dell Ultra Sharp? Seems it might be a little bit out of my price range. The 24'' is getting up there already.

wramirez1021

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
And a follow-up. In terms of Sound would you just recommend the soundbar that Dell offers as an add-on? Im not a huge Audiophile, I listen to lot of music and would be watching Blu-Ray on my PS3 with the Dell Monitor. So would a small surround setup be better or just the dell soundbar? I am in no means looking for cutting edge top of the line surround though. Just a solid gaming/movie watching experience.

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Hey everyone, this is my first post so hopefully i have some luck! I searched though but couldnt find any answer to my Specific problem..

Here's my question,

1) I am going to purchase a uMBP either today or tomorrow, I chose it over a 24" iMac because I need both the power and portability. However when at home I will be doing alot of Photoshop work and more than likely some work in Final Cut so I need a bigger display to hook my uMBP to.

2) I also have a PS3 that is currently hooked up to a 42" LG LCD HDTV, but due to a change in living situation I think 42" is a bit overkill for a bedroom so I am planning on getting rid of the television for a smaller, more bedroom friendly one.

3) So finally here is my question. What Display would you recommend that I could hook both my uMBP and my PS3 (preferably via HDMI) up to? Im looking in the 23-27" range and would like something that both the computer and PS3 would look good on. OR should I just focus on a display for the uMBP and by a smaller TV for my PS3?

Sorry for being so long-winded but help is appreciated! oh and here are a few monitors I was looking at.. Any Opinions?\

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005125

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001280

or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9274616&type=product&id=1218072891677

No contest, get the Acer H243H. Its a 24 in 1080p, 2ms response time and a 40,000 to 1 contrast ratio and its under 300$

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
And a follow-up. In terms of Sound would you just recommend the soundbar that Dell offers as an add-on? Im not a huge Audiophile, I listen to lot of music and would be watching Blu-Ray on my PS3 with the Dell Monitor. So would a small surround setup be better or just the dell soundbar? I am in no means looking for cutting edge top of the line surround though. Just a solid gaming/movie watching experience.

The sound bar is a nice, since the only way for the monitor to take the sound coming from your HDMI is to bring it out through the headphone/line out jack on the monitor, which is what the sound bar will connect to. If you already have speakers, then you can just use those and that will work perfectly fine. In fact, that is what I do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.