I need a Docking Station with a true line out!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by SophiaLee, Dec 7, 2010.

1. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

I've been reading reviews and it seems like the Apple one is pretty crappy as far as line out capabilities.

I need some kind of docking station with a line out I can connect to my home stereo system. I don't want the music to play thru my iphone, but thru real speakers.

Any suggestions?

2. SophiaLee thread starter macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

Thanks, but I don't want one with built in speakers, that's why I want the audio line out so I can connect to my own speakers.

3. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

4. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

the official apple dock has a true line out that spits out the cleanest audio signal you are going to get (better than 3.5mm audio port)

where are you getting this crappy information?

5. shadowarachh macrumors member

this ^

its a left, right signal and ground off of three pins. not much to screw up.

6. SophiaLee thread starter macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

The reviews of it online from people that have bought it are bad, just like I said in the OP.

7. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

so you believe every idiot online?

post these "bad reviews" I'm sure these "experts" complained about not being able to control the volume from their phone, or that it didn't charge their phone

OP it's clear you are paranoid of anything any one will tell you online. Fair enough,then lock this thread go into the apple store yourself and test it yourself, apple has a return policy if you're not satisfied

8. SophiaLee thread starter macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

Are you serious? You are actually calling me paranoid, demanding I buy a dock from Apple AND that the thread be closed? WOW.

How about u just don't post in this thread anymore since it obviously upsets u. My lord.

9. Username02 macrumors regular

One thing that always annoyed me about the Apple Universal Dock is the variable line out. I hate it.

That being said, I find the dedicated iPhone docks to be pretty good for line out and docking (and it looks really great near the stereo too). Maybe you can even bring a small portable amp and headphones to an Apple store and try one out.

Alternately, you could just find any 30 pin dock connector dock you like and try to add a Line Out Dock connector cable on the back of it. As long as it has true passthrough support for iPhone, this could work also.

I haven't tried any other docks that have line out, but if you find anything worthwhile in your searching, please do post back here. I am certainly interested in trying some new options myself.

10. QuarterSwede, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you're concerned about audio quality than nothing is better than using AirPlay > AX or AppleTV > digital out > Home Stereo.

The analog line out on the iPhone is the problem not the docks. As far as I know the iPhone is capable of sending digital audio over the dock connector but almost no docks take advantage of it and the ones that do are easily over $100. This was back in the iOS 3.x days so I'm not sure if iOS 4 is still capable or if there are docks still out there taking advantage of this.