I need a gentle push to jb my iPhone 4 !

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bandofbrothers, Feb 10, 2012.

1. bandofbrothers, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi Guys.

Ive done lots of homework regarding the process and just need a gentle nudge....lol. :rolleyes:

Ive downloaded the latest untethered version of redsn0w to my mac, which is version mac.0.9.10b5

Im aware of spire as I'm after siri.

I have a company in mind that charges $20 a year for the siri proxy which a member on here uses and says works.

Lots of tube tutorials watched.

Im on firmware 5.0.1
    Baseband 04.11.08

So whats stopping me......

Horror stories.
    Baseband issues.
    Stories of jb seriously lagging the iPhone 4.
    Im not sure how fast new jb come out after gm software releases from apple.

Can you users who have already jb pass on your personal knowledge.
    Pro's and cons.

Particular anyone who has done what I'm after ref siri on the iPhone 4.

:D

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You're only concerned with jb. Therefore, you don't need to worry about bb; that's for unlockers. If you'd done any research, you'd know this.
    When it comes to jb, you have to be willing to wait on updating. Updating on the first day of iOS release isn't feasible. Again, if you'd done any research, you'd know this
    Also, you should do a lot more reading. Most jb problems are fixable and are preventable. Those horror stories come from people who updated without thinking or didn't even bother to do basic recovery steps before asking for help. With enough homework, you'll know how to safely update and the basic recovery steps you need to do before panic should set in.

3. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Dude, just buy an iPhone 4S if you only want Siri. I sold my iphone 4 a few weeks ago on eBay for $80 more than I pais for it. So that more than paid for my new iPhone 4S. Also, Siri is no big deal. I used it a few times and that was it. It is useful for texting in the car only. Beyond the initial play value and trying to talk dirty to Siri for a few minutes the novelty wears off pretty fast.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Subjective as are the pros cons with any topic. You'd need to try and see for yourself. If you "need" the nudge then don't bother. Backup and you'll be able to restore if needed.

5. bandofbrothers thread starter macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

6. bandofbrothers, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

bandofbrothers thread starter macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I have read posts and blogs from a broad spectrum of owners and users who have come across lots of different issues which had been resolved with out much effort and then others who are completely baffled from issues that have left other experienced jail breakers baffled.

As far as I'm aware these forums exist to help and aid user to user issues.
    Id rather you not bother replying if all your going to do is sit on your proverbial high chair.

----------

Understood.

----------

7. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Jailbreak it
    If you don't like it restore it

It's as simple as that.

8. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

That's likely to be a pretty strong misconception.

The iPhone 4 retailed for $649 (16GB) or $749 (32GB) when you got it, that's how much you've paid for it - probably not in one lump sum, but spread over the duration of your contract.

What you got on eBay may have been $80 more than your initial deposit which you paid towards the phone when you got it. However you should take into account that you're paying off the phone every month in chunks of (retail price - deposit)/(contract length in months) + a bit of interest that your mobile provider likes to take for effectively lending you money.

I say "likely to be a pretty strong misconception" because I don't doubt that there might people out there who would buy a locked iPhone 4 for $649+80 (or $749+80) on eBay...

9. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

So where in my bill is all of this reflected?

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Just FWIW, I played on my friends jailbroken iP4 today. It was horribly slow and took about eight seconds just to display the multitasking tray from double tapping the home button.

Granted, I'm not quite sure how much crap he has got on it, but just thought I'd let you know what I'd experienced.

11. Pipper99 macrumors 68020

Pipper99

This says it. I jb mine recently, and I haven't had any issues. I don't put a lot of jb apps on my phone, but I do like the several that I use very much.

12. Mac?Daddy macrumors member

I'm running 5.0.1 JB on an iPhone 4 using a Spire proxy for Siri just like you're considering. I honestly haven't noticed a big drain on the speed of my phone even with Spire, a decent Springboard widget, and Winterboard themes. Definitely not nearly as much of a strain on my phone as there was when I had my old 3G Jailbroken. The only issue I've had with Spire is that it puts a huge drain on battery life, this is something I've only noticed since adding Spire in the last week or so.

Ultimately, I'm a big fan of the jailbreak and always have been, but it's not for everyone. Like others have said, give it a shot and if you don't like it it's very easy to reverse!

13. bandofbrothers thread starter macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Thanks guys for your insights which are a lot more helpful than some of the earlier replies I had.

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

don't have that issue here..

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Jailbreak the phone and see if it runs as you hope it will before dropping the extra cash on the Siri proxy. If it works well, you are golden. If not, just restore.

16. calvy macrumors 65816

17. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

18. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

It's worked into your monthly plan, just like any inclusive minutes, texts, data, etc. that you might have.

19. bandofbrothers thread starter macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

Update :

Jb done.

Spire installed and siri is now fully functioning.

Now thats completed its time to realise the true potential of my iPhone 4, within reason.

Thanks to the members who took the time to reply, give advice and give me that nudge.

Ive even jb my 1st gen iPod touch !

20. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Enjoy being jailbroken! I know I have ever since I jb my first iPhone (4S). Just be careful what you put on it and before you mess around with anything try to research about it.

21. bandofbrothers thread starter macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Thanks,

Thats the beauty of forums like these and the net/u tube !