I need a good .FLV Player

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Joeski, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Joeski macrumors member

I didn't know if this should go here or the software thread, but I figured I'd put it here. I need a good .flv player for my MacBook.

OR I need a program that will convert the .flv files to any other format that quicktime will play.

Free is the best way :)

Thanks in advance!

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

iSquint, legacy software media convertor, its the hotness.

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Perian (play anything with quicktime) or VideoLan (replacement player)

4. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

+1 on perian. Works like a charm. I also have isquint but I use that to convert between formats

5. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

MPEG Streamclip works well...

Depending on the codecs you have installed you can convert to many different file types with controls for upscaling and downscaling, interlacing or progressive, even some birghtness, contrast and saturation controls. You can also perform basic editing, cut, trim, paste (insert), etc.

iSquint (I believe) is no longer being supported (as of 10/2008). I never tried it because MPEG Streamclip has worked so well.

6. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

I so love isquint...what a shame (runs and guards his isquint install program)

7. Joeski thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone, I had MPEG-Streamclip from an earlier video project, but never thought to use that. It didn't want to play the files, so I downloaded Perian and it worked great. Thanks again!

8. hodgeheg macrumors regular

Much as I hate to say it...

... RealPlayer is actually quite useful for this. It also does a better job of recording flash video from websites than anything else I've found. I never thought I'd see the day I viewed Real as anything other than bloaty crudware at best, but the latest version is far less invasive and actually works. That's the only thing I use it for. I find it does a better job of seeking within .flv files than mplayer os x or VLC media player, which I also use.

I have perian installed too. It is great, but I didn't think it did flv.