I need a good iPhone 3g alarm clock, 100$ budget

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Sumtime19, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Sumtime19 macrumors member

Would you guys know of any? I want it to have an alarm clock and decent speakers, I'll pay up to 100$, maybe a bit more.

2. aosman macrumors 6502

I would say the iHome; I am assuming it works with the iPhone 3G and you can get it for less than $100 for sure (just shop around online). You might want to go to a store and try one out before you but it though.

3. Sumtime19 thread starter macrumors member

100$, perfect price, this thing really is perfect! But I need to be sure it works with an iPhone 3G obviously. Can anyone confirm anything?

4. aosman macrumors 6502

5. elbirth macrumors 65816

bumping this thread to see if anyone has any proven suggestions that will work with the iPhone 3G. I use my iPhone 3G as an alarm as well and would like to be able to have it plugged into some better speakers that would also charge it and all that good stuff

6. LoMonkey macrumors regular

The universal dock adapter should allow the iPhone 3G to fit in the iHome.

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

8. sUGArDawg macrumors regular

sUGArDawg

Uhh, how about the iPhone's built-in alarm? You paid for it already, right? So "free" is better than an extra $100, no?

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That may not be loud enough for him.

10. Sumtime19 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly, I sleep through A LOT of things.

11. absolutic macrumors regular

Iphone 3G Clock Radio - only one works for sure

You should read the related discussion on ilounge. Because of 2100Mhz, Many speakers/clock radios with Iphone certification, DO NOT, in fact work with Iphone 3G. I went to my local Frys and tried my Iphone 3G with every speakers they had.

The only one that actually worked, and no message "does not work with this accessory, entering airplane mode" is Sony FM/AM Clock Radio ICF-C1PMK2. It costs $99 and a little cheaper on amazon. It actually works with Iphone 3g. No pop-up messages, charges your Iphone 3G and remote control works. That's it. The new JBL will charge your phone but you will get the message. Altec 612 also has message popping up. So Sony is the only way to go as of TODAY.

12. jen4t25 macrumors newbie

I'm fixing my post, I was wrong....
    The iHome iH8 DOES work with the iPhone 3g & charges it. That screen pops up saying it wasn't made for the iPhone [​IMG] so if you want less static switch it to airplane mode. But it does indeed work.

Attached Files:

13. accrane macrumors member

i HATE the iHome. Maybe is was just the model that I had but the inability to adjust the alarm volume is just poor design...

14. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I tried to search for the model number, and couldn't find it. After some digging, I realized you left out a letter. Just so other people can find it, the actual model number is ICF-C1iPMK2.

Thanks for the info. :)

Here's a review and pics for the OP.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. jen4t25 macrumors newbie

I fixed my post above about the iHome that I have. I wrote that the iH8 doesn't work but it does. I had the old iPhone adapter on it when I tried it so it wasn't sitting right. I took off the adapter & re-tried & it works just like the other iPhone. Sorry about that.

16. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

The alarm is pretty loud.

17. pcmike macrumors regular

pcmike

I got a ICF-C1IPMK2BLK and it works great. Just two cons I've noticed.. when using the alarm w/ the BUZZER its not that loud and only lasts 3mins (this isn't true if using iPod music or radio). Also, the other con is that in order to get to the iPod menu you need to MANUALLY unlock the iPhone. Pretty annoying, but after unlocking the phone and putting it in iPod mode it doesn't ever lock again which is good. Of course if you pause it for an extended period it will lock and then if you want to use the menu (to go through playlists, etc) it needs to be unlocked. It'll always play/pause/fast/rewind through audio in the current playlist without needing to unlock or anything. So it's not a BIG hassle, but enough of one that I consider it a con.

18. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

Does the Altec 612 have a display, and does it have an alarm function, or is it basically just a speaker?

19. bobr macrumors member

I also have the Sony listed a couple of threads above. Works great with my 3G and my first gen touch. Got it at the local Apple store and now I see they have them at Sams Club for $69!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I own the Altec 612, used in my office at work. It is just a speaker. I took it home yesterday and used it as an alarm (test) and it works, but I always have to turn the iPhone on to see the time. Maybe that's a good thing for me because I tend to think just because it's 6 am I need to wake up ( ;) ) but I kind of like my iHome (which I use primarily). The problem with my iPhone 1G and 3G is that it produced a bit of feedback in the iHome. Not nearly as much as it did with the Altec iNMotions, but some.

The iHome is the best for under $100 but the Altec 612 is $200 so out of the OP's budget anyway.
    Question Does anyone know if the Sony ICF-C1IPMK2WHT supports other iPods like the 2G and 4G nano? I usually use my 2G nano as my alarm in my iHome.

21. g00dbye macrumors member

g00dbye

You should consider buying the new Griffin AirCurve. It's only $20 and it supposedly amplifies your iPhone very well without the use of external speakers or power. I plan to get one myself pretty soon. Check it out (they're now available)!

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/aircurve

22. elbirth macrumors 65816

I saw this earlier when it was announced and am pretty intrigued by it... has anyone seen any reviews on it? I'd be most interested in seeing a video demo of it that includes them letting the phone ring (or make whatever other sound) normally and then placed in the AirCurve to get a feel for the difference

23. cmegalodon macrumors newbie

cmegalodon

24. Um...? macrumors newbie

Picked this alarm clock up this weekend on sale at Circuit City for $79.99. So far so good. Works flawlessly with my 3G...

One thing that I did discover about it though is that the sleep mode will not work properly if you are streaming music (Pandora). Otherwise, it's been an impressive performer.

25. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, here's a super quick video review of it. Doesn't cover making phone calls, but I saw enough to know it's not what I'm looking for! :eek:

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/10/23/video-review-griffin.html