I need a good newsletter script

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mpmusic, Jun 10, 2008.

1. mpmusic macrumors newbie

Hey guys.. i have an old cgi script that is very easy and simple and i'm very fimiliar with it. i used it on my old hosting 2 years ago.
    now i am in need of using a newsletter script.. unfortuanly Godaddy, my current hosting is telling me i have to upgrade my plan which really stupid.
    i mean its not like i'm on the very base leval for hosting i'm in the middle i belive.

anyways. i tried looking for free services (third party) for newsletters and i havnt found any where you dont have to pay thats even remotely good.

so whats the best, easiest PHP newsletter script?
    i already have about 300 subscibers in a saved document from my old newsletter so i wanna import them.

Also if you guys know any third party newsletter sites that are free, or if you know where i could perhaps upload my old cgi script somewhere i can use for free that would be even better..

Thanks

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

I just wrote this real fast...

Code:
    <?php

$to = 'To: admin <admin@website.com>' . "\r\n";  //this is your to address, just send it to yourself
    $subject = 'THIS IS THE EMAIL SUBJECT!'; //self explanatory
    $message = 'This is the message, <br> but whatever you want here, <br> just remember if you use single quotes (\') make sure you but a backslash in front of them(\)...';

$headers  = 'MIME-Version: 1.0' . "\r\n";
    $headers .= 'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1' . "\r\n";
    $headers .= 'From: AUTO MAILER <no-reply@website.com>' . "\r\n"; //just make a non excitant address because you dont want to reply...
    $headers .= 'Bcc: admin@website.com'; //this is out blind carbon copy so people cant see everyone else, (easily)
    //FOR SIMPLICITY SAKE LEAVE THE FIRST ADDRESS IN THE BCC IN THERE OTHERWISE IT WONT WORK RIGHT, AND I DONT WANT TO WRITE CONDITIONALS!

$addresses = array("one@website.com", "two@website.com", "three@website.com"); //replace this with addresses
    reset($arr);

while (list(, $value) = each($addresses)) {
        echo ", $value";
    }

$header .= "\r\n"; 

// send the email
    mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

?>

not tested, but it should work...

It isnt good as in it has lots of pretty features, but it will let you send HTML email to anyone in the array of addresses...

Anyway, let me know if there is something you want added to it, and i might add it.

3. mpmusic thread starter macrumors newbie

what exactley do i do with that?
    edit it with the information and... save as php?
    how would it run?

4. jambla macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have been using Pommo formely known as bmail for about a year. I send out eNewletters weekly and find it fast, simple, reliable and FREE!

Its a PHP script so you will need PHP installed on your server which is normally on Linux based servers.

URL: http://pommo.org

5. &Ingonyama macrumors member

6. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Sorry, I assumed you had prior knowledge of php...

Yes, edit the to, subject, and message variables. (whatever is in the quotes).
    Then add all your addresses into the addresses array.

$addresses = array("one@website.com", "two@website.com", "three@website.com");

format it like this, with the address in quotes, then a comma after it.
    That should take care of it...

Then yes save it as a .php file and upload it. After that that just go to that page in your browser and it will run the script sending the email..