I need a good program that will copy my DVD video to my computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Abigailse, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Abigailse macrumors newbie

I need a good program that will copy my DVD video to my computer and convert it to WMV or AVI in high quality, with no distortion to the sound or video. No trials, i already have several. I want something to keep.

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Handbrake - free, works well, iPod settings too

3. G-Com macrumors regular

If you want to copy an entire DVD without losing quality, try RipIt. It's not free, but it does a great job — especially on DVD's Mac the Ripper or Handbrake won't rip. I've come across a few of these and RipIt works like a charm.

http://ripitapp.com/

Then you can use Handbrake to rip not only the feature, but bonus features and commentary tracks, too.

:apple:

4. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I've found the best way to do this is to rip it to your hard drive using the "Main Feature Only" extraction with MacTheRipper and then encode it to whatever format you want with HandBrake. And I would definitely get MacTheRipper 3.0 instead of the older 2.0. It's not free but definitely worth it. The old one has troubles with new DVDs that are protected.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

firstly

download

MacTheRipper: rip the disc to your HD, then use

HandBrake: to convert the video. you can do passthroughs and all the like if you wish.

N.B. please convert to h.264, not the crappy avi!!

6. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Handbrake will also rip the DVD, I have used it myself to put a movie on my computer then to iPod to watch.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

question: by rip the dvd you mean copy the entire contents of the dvd onto a storage medium???

how does handbrake do this? (never seen this feature before)

8. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

My understanding of the term 'rip' is to copy a DVD into a format which can be stored and read on a computer with no additional hardware. With handbrake you can do this for each title on the disc, but each will become a separate file.

9. newtonuk macrumors member

newtonuk

Ripping is the process of copying audio or video content to a hard disk, typically from removable media or media streams. Digital audio extraction is a more formal phrase applied to the ripping of audio CDs. Ripping is distinct from simple file copying, in which, the source audio/video is not formatted for ease of use in a computer filesystem. For example, the hierarchy of files making up the audio/video data on a DVD-Video disc can be encoded into a single avi file. In addition, the copied data are often compressed with appropriate codecs. Ripping is often used to shift formats, and to edit, duplicate or backup media content. Media files released on the Internet may describe the source of the rip in their names, e.g. DVD-Rip.

I would say ripping covers both a straight extract of the media "as-is" and encoding it, or ripping down to a different format.

10. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Exactly. I have a movie I like, but can't keep the disk in the drive, so I ripped it to my hard drive to watch both on the computer and iPod. It will play very nicely with iTunes.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok then that makes sense.. so what would you call the part when you "copy the whole dvd directly onto the computer with no converting at all" part then?? (i.e. using MTR or similar)