Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TouchID

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
I want people to be able to notice that I have an iPhone 5S, and not a 5... Any recommendation for a really awesome bumper case?

LindenW

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
I bought the Spigen Ultra Hybrid case for my 5s and so far, I really love it. It's basically a bumper, but it has a clear back which you can leave as is or add graphics.
I've also got the Ringke Fusion coming in the mail, which is essentially the same thing, just a different company.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I want people to be able to notice that I have an iPhone 5S, and not a 5... Any recommendation for a really awesome bumper case?

iPhone 5S / 5 Case Neo Hybrid EX Slim

iphone_5s_case_neo_hybrid_ex-vivid-soul_black.jpg

Dabearfan101

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
I bought the Spigen Ultra Hybrid case for my 5s and so far, I really love it. It's basically a bumper, but it has a clear back which you can leave as is or add graphics.
I've also got the Ringke Fusion coming in the mail, which is essentially the same thing, just a different company.

hmm I'm interested into this one too with the new campaign color. However the reviews on amazon made me a little weary. Does it slip off easily/often when you're pulling the phone out of a pocket?

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I would avoid metal bumpers or cases. They affect the signal strength/quality on your phone.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Sosche Railkase

I would avoid metal bumpers or cases. They affect the signal strength/quality on your phone.

Some do not. I have this case and have experience zero drop in signal strength.

"With so much protection, it's hard to imagine how RAILkase wouldn't hinder cellular signal strength. The high impact polycarbonate bridge prevents signal loss - making sure that you never miss an important call or text."

Spelling error: Scosche

Correction: There was a slight signal drop so I guess the one I had really did :(

Last edited:

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I think most any bumper case will show off the different color and flash... but the average person isn't going to understand the subtle differences of the outside of the phone.

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
I have a silver Draco that I used on my white iPhone 5, but I am waiting for this one to become available for my new space gray. :)

bk.jpg

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Gave up with metal. Too much signal loss. Specially if you travel or go somewhere daily.

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
I just bought the avivo rail system, I'm planning to use it as a bumper sometimes and a full case others... It looks awesome and has good reviews so I am hoping it turns out to be just what I want..

I'll post some thoughts and photos when I get it. There is a good review on here, and the promo code listed in it still worked for me yesterday.

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
Dang that is sweet! I may have to step it up and give this aluminum bumper a shot. Thinking about black, titanium gray or the tactical edition for my space gray iPhone 5S. The tactical edition looks like a cool olive green military color.

4th design T type 3: http://www.4thdesign.net/product/t_type3/2nd_t_type3_te.php

Hands down the sexiest bumper I've seen. Having used aluminum bumpers before, signal loss has never been an issue. A review on this case by gadgetmac showed a loss of one bar iirc, which ain't too bad.

supermassive

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
What about if you engraved:

"Look, look, it is an iPhone 5S not just a 5!!!!!!11"

on the phone itself?

Maybe people will like you better...

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I just bought the avivo rail system, I'm planning to use it as a bumper sometimes and a full case others... It looks awesome and has good reviews so I am hoping it turns out to be just what I want..

I'll post some thoughts and photos when I get it. There is a good review on here, and the promo code listed in it still worked for me yesterday.

+1 for the Avivo rail. I have been using mine for a couple of months now and it has been spectacular. Plus the ability to use a back when wanted is a great option. Highly recommend it! I spoke to their customer service and they might be bringing the aluminum rail back soon as well

Last edited:

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Gave up with metal. Too much signal loss. Specially if you travel or go somewhere daily.

Yeah, I found this out the hard way :eek:

----------

Do third party lightening cables fit? Can't tell from pictures if the hole/port is large enough to accommodate it.

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, I found this out the hard way :eek:

----------

Do third party lightening cables fit? Can't tell from pictures if the hole/port is large enough to accommodate it.

I use the oem cable with mine, but I have heard that some third party cables work. They'd have to be on the small side though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.