I need a...GULP Windows Forum

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yoyo5280, Sep 29, 2007.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I have been asked to help fix a friends PC, but I am stumped. I am noo genius, and I am REALLY BAD at using windows. If there is a forum, where I can get help almost as good as the help I get from you guys can you please let me know?

Thanks!

2. Frisco macrumors 68020

Ask your question here. We know about Windows too--that's why we now use Macs ;) What's the issue with your friends PC?

3. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Thanks! :)

She is having numerous issues, all that I have had with PCs the same age and never been able to fix. Yet, my mac mini being the same age has only had one. HAHA!!

One that is really confusing me is that her

HP Notebook
    Windows XP is Home Edition SP2
    HP Intel
    Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    3.00GHz, 512 MB of RAM

Will totally crash (Only on one account) when closing any application using the internet (most commonly IE7 and iTunes)

Also, she has a very common problem with XP saying there is full signal (wirelessly) but not actually being able to connect to the internet.

Lastly, windows now refuses to burn CDs and Norten Anti VIrus jsut started crashing the computer.

She is having printer issues (same as my mac, with HP printers) that is easily fixed.

4. Frisco macrumors 68020

Windows XP is funny like this and needs a fresh install once in awhile or else erratic behavior like this happens.

First try to perform a Repair Install If that doesn't work a fresh install is the easiest solution.

5. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

So there is no easy way out?

I guess it will be easier for me to go over there and do it my self for her. :p

6. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

*Sob* Those are exactly the problems I have been having with my HP Notebook!! I have given up. I used to reload XP about every 5-6 months, but I don't have time to do it anymore. Tell her I feel for her. HP Notebooks suck. Is it a Pavillon?
    I had to put XP Pro on mine for school and it acted even stranger. My computer has told me that there is something wrong with the BIOS. I don't know what that means. So I took XP Pro off and just ran Home Edition and it still had the BIOS problem.
    It's very irritating.

7. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Good thing it is soon to be replaced with a MBP!! Maybe I should recommend a mac to replace her 2003-2004 bought HP! :)

8. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Yep, I think it is the best solution. :D

9. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I will see if I get the chance to go over there and then bring it up casually. LOL

10. Frisco macrumors 68020

It really sucks to do a Windows XP install. Yeah the install maybe quick, but a million updates and reboots make you want to k*ll yourself, but so often that is the only solution with Windows Operating Systems.

11. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I used to watch my dad do it all the time, First backing up all the software, then docs, then reinstalling the OS, setting it up to connect to the internet, downloading all the preinstalled apps from Sony, reinstalling all the software and putting back docs. It would take 1-2 days.

Can somebody please give me step by step instructions?