I need a hard shell case like this one. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Boydbme, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Boydbme macrumors member

Boydbme

hey everyone.

I need a little help here. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 17-inch macbook pro for school and I'm looking for a case that is like this one:

http://www.axio-usa.com/hardsleeve17.html

The model on the site says that it is currently incompatible with the latest generation of macbook pros. I've been poking around all morning looking for other cases like it but so far I haven't found what I'm looking for.

the things I like about it that need to be in the case I will buy are:

• It is thin. This is just a hard shell sleeve, which is what I want since it will be going in my backpack a majority of the time
    • It doesn't have a handle or extra pockets adding bulk
    • it looks sleek. I like the fact that it is not colorful or bright. black is preferred.
    • it's right at $100 which is my self-imposed limit for spending on a case.

the things that will immediately disqualify a case for me:
    • over $100
    • bright colors
    • not hard shell (i want this to be able to protect against small drops such as accidently falling out of my backpack onto a floor)
    • not a zip up case. I'm not interested in things like incase snap on laptop shells.

So, if anyone knows where i can get a similar case, or when Axio will be upgrading their product line, please feel free to chip in. I know that's kinda a specific list, but it's what I'm looking for and I'd appreciate any help that can be provided.

thanks!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would just wait. Speck is the only company that updates their shells to keep up with Apple. Companies like Incase have still not fully updated their lines.

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

How about the booq vyper? Its black, sleek, zip-up, rigid, impact protection.

4. icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

Booq vyper is nice, I have it for my classic mbp 17. Ver sturdy, yet slim, fits well in my laptop bag. Make sure the have one for the new unibody size.

5. Boydbme thread starter macrumors member

Boydbme

hey, thanks for the feedback.

I looked at the Viper case, and it looked good. It's not REALLY hard shell, but it is much better than just a neoprene sleeve.

Quick question, does anyone have an original first-gen macbook pro (like what i have right now) and a new unibody macbook pro in their house? if so, could you compare them as far as footprint and thickness? I find it hard to believe that the unibody macbook pro is so different that the old version of the case i want wouldn't work.

thanks.

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The manufacturer wants to sell, sell, sell so they'll only list them as incompatible if they really are.

Check Dr. Bott. They frequently carry stuff for older models (and at a discount).