I need a keyboard tray (does this count as a peripheral?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fairnymph, May 10, 2007.

1. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

I'm not sure if this counts, if not, I apologize mods.

I need a keyboard tray because my desk that my dad built me many moons ago for my 10th or so bday does not have a keyboard drawer/tray, and I have terrible carpal tunnel + tendonitis.

The desk is solid wood, but it does already have a drawer in the keyboard region, and this drawer is constructed of fairly thin wood.

I want a keyboard tray that I can attach to the underside of this drawer, but I'm not sure how good of an idea that is with it being fairly thin wood? The tray cannot be too heavy or I suspect it the wood will not support it.

I also want a tray that can fit both mouse and keyboard, all in one, NOT with the mouse off to the side on a separate little piece, but one long rectangle.

Otherwise, I'm not looking for anything fancy (though aluminum to match my mac pro would be very pretty!). I would prefer not to spend more than $50.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

2. james2002 macrumors newbie

Do a search on ebay. I just got one there for $70.00 that retailed for $200+ and I do remember seeing a silver tray.

I just received mine and I can tell you it's heavy.
    You may need to remove the old drawer so you can mount the tray directly to the bottom of the desk.

Here is a link for keyboard trays on ebay.
    http://tinyurl.com/2k96cb

3. fairnymph thread starter macrumors 6502

fairnymph

Yeah I've seen a bunch of good ones online, but I'm really concerned about the weight.

Removing the drawer is NOT an option, it would look like crap, plus, I use that drawer for stuff.

There must be fairly lightweight ones somewhere?

4. james2002 macrumors newbie

I did a quick search and the lightest ones I could find are about 5lbs.

http://tinyurl.com/2rfrj2

But this is going to make the tray sit very low since you would be putting it under a drawer.

You might want to add support to the bottom of the drawer so you could use a heavier articulation tray that would let you raise up the keyboard higher after you pull it out.

5. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

Big Lots has a $30 computer desk with a keyboard tray.

then you'd have two workspaces. What could be better?

6. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

If you feel handy you could convert the current drawer front to fold down with hinges and that way the drawer itself could be the keyboard tray. Post pictures of the desk if you would like further explanation/instructions - I have done it to a friends desk, it isn't to bad of a job to do.

7. fairnymph thread starter macrumors 6502

fairnymph

Brian, I have a very small room, so that's not an option. :\

Mustard, I did have that thought, and I'm not completely inept at such things. I think an under the drawer tray would still be better as my desk is quite high so it would be better to have my wrists lower, but converting the drawer is certainly an improvement over using the top of the desk, if an under-drawer tray isn't possible.

I shall take some pics later.

Thanks folks!