I need a large hard disk that does'nt need mains power

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Harmush, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

Does anyone have any bright ideas?

I just want one that can be powered off the USB. I can't afford another plug to be used.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you need a laptop drive for that, the largest is 500gb. is that large enough?

looking at ~$200US for it im guessing. (including case)

3. Harmush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Harmush

sounds good to me. are all laptop/portable HDD without mains power?

just incase i (being stupid) buy the only one on the market that needs the mains.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes every laptop hard drive will be portable. they normally require two USB slots, sometimes you can get one. it really depends on the brand you choose etcetc.

5. Wardotron macrumors member

I can recommend Western Digital My Passport drives. Not only do they draw power from USB and not a plug, they look very cool.

6. ckmaes macrumors newbie

Portable 1TB drive

LaCie have a product called the Little Big Disk, it's a dual drive RAID enclosure that is bus powered. I'd imagine that a single FireWire cable would power it, otherwise it would possibly require 2 USB ports. Check it out.

7. Harmush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Harmush

sound liek its just what i need or the Western one. i will check them out now

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I too would recommend the Western Digital Passport. I don't use one myself, but it sounds to me like you just need/want a simple, all-in-one storage solution that's portable, and USB-powered. The WD Passport line (or similar by another manufacturer) should suit you nicely.

9. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

A word of warning for WD drives though:
    My 500gb My Book Home Edition died completely after 5 months, and a friends Passport 120gb died in a year, so I am currently not too happy with their quality, but when they worked, they were fabulous drives.

10. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    WD SUCKS, 12 have failed me over the years, most recent a WD Raptor, replaced under warranty, but who wants another

11. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

buy this case from OWC http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MOTGFWU2/, and put any 2.5 SATA HDD in it you like.
    They are awesome, hook up to FW as well and are Bus powered, so no power brick needed
    Get the HDD from them as well, shop for the size you need. I have 4 doing Time Machine duty on 4 Macs. Awesome product, 4.5 stars in Mac Life:)and you can buy with confidence from OWC, I have had no problems with their products, including RAM

12. Harmush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Harmush

i like that idea.
    i think i have loads of old HDD i could use somewhere as well. i sure i can find one somewhere..

thanks for the help..

and thanks for the warning on WD. i have taken it into account.

13. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

14. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I've got the same case, with my old Seagate 160GB HD. The case itself is great, if you don't mind the clear plastic enclosure (some do). My only regret is that I didn't wait to buy it now, since it's $50 cheaper than when I bought it.

15. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Forgot to mention this before. Make sure you get the correct enclosure for the type of disk you have.

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Get one from SeaGate. It looks pretty cool and is Mac formatted out of the box. Go to the Apple Online store and look for FreeAgent Go, the largest is 320GB on the online store but 500GB ones do exist, just go to your local electronics store and ask for the Mac version of the 500GB FreeAgent Go.

17. Harmush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Harmush

i am heading down to PC World tomorrow morning so i will do.
    i saw some good ones yesterday when i went in but as normal forgot to bring my wallet. so i couldnt buy anything. typical!!

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

goodluck!! dont forget to format it correctly!!

19. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Ok, so let me get this straight, you have had 12 (TWELVE, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12) Western Digital Hard Drives fail, and YOU are still using them? Doesn't add up to me. But that is your thing if after all that you are still using them.

Wow, you must own their stock or have some deep ties there!

20. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

As Ed McMahon on the old Tonight Show used to say, "you are correct Sir", they make them for IDE OR SATA drives, sorry should have mentioned that:eek:

21. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

I was waiting for that to get asked:rolleyes:, all failed under warranty, and were replaced, which failed and were replaced etc, I did buy the Raptor based on reviews, but you know the story on that. Total of 5 were actually purchased on various systems, each failed and was replaced free. I'm a Hitachi Boy so far.;)