I need a MacBook Equivalent for my PC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shinra, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Shinra macrumors newbie

Hey,
    So basically, I need a MacBook Pro equivalent to my existing PCs. I mostly use my desktop with R9 270x, i5 4770, 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD, which is hooked to Dell u2715h and this setup works just fine for me and for what I use it for, Adobe CC suite mainly Illustrator, PS, XD, AE.
    I also recently bought Lenovo Yoga 720,with 15 inch FHD screen, GTX 1050, GB RAM, i7 7700HQ and 512GB SSD, and I use it when I'm on the move which isn't a lot.

Thing is, the company that I applied for requires Mac OS so I need your advice as to what to get, so I don't really feel any downgrade in performance. I plan to keep the desktop and potentially sell the Lenovo as I don't need 2 laptops.
    Thanks!

2. 960design macrumors 68030

3. Shinra thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to mention, lol
    My budget isn't really MBP 2017 friendly, because if I could I'd get the 15inch 2017 model, mainly considering a 2015 variant, I just need some advice regarding the specs.

4. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

What is your budget? You're trying to compare a decent desktop to a 3 year old laptop, you won't be able to get the same specs.

2015 MBP 15"
    CPU: ✗ Same generation as your desktop but it's the laptop one so it's slower, nothing dramatic.
    GPU: ✗ The 2015 Apple is still selling is using integrated graphics and it's way slower than you GPU. If you buy one from a 3rd party you should be able to find one with discrete graphics but it won't be as good as yours.
    RAM: ✓ Comes with 16gb.
    SSD: ✓ Comes with 256gb but can be upgraded up to 1TB. Also, I don't know which SSD you have but the SSDs in the MBP are some of the fastest around.
    Video output: ✓ The 2015 one comes with HDMI so no problem using your monitor.

I don't think you'll notice a big difference for your needs but it would be less powerful than what you're used to. Those application use the CPU much more than the GPU.

I know you said you don't have the budget for a 2017 but just for fun let's compare!

2017 MBP 15"
    CPU: ✓ CPU has similar performances to your desktop.
    GPU: ✗ The 2017 15" has discrete GPU but it's not as good as your desktop. It's very similar to the one in your laptop though, especially the 560.
    RAM: ✓ Comes with 16gb.
    SSD: ✓ Comes with 256gb but can be upgraded up to 1TB.
    Video output: The 2017 has only usb-c so you'd need to buy an adapter to connect to your monitor.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

A 15 inch MacBook Pro is what you want very simple really the use the same components as a windows machine and have similar performance, the Mac OS is a delight though and the mbp is a great laptop, for you any mbp 15 inch with the graphics upgraded to the 560.