I need a monitor for my 13" MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by edwardlanti, Sep 17, 2009.

1. edwardlanti macrumors regular

Hey I am looking for a monitor to use it with my macbook. The problem is that I dont know where to start. I haven't bought a Monitor like for 6 or 7 years now :). I am looking for a 22" or 24". I like the apple display but they are too pricey for me. I am in the budget for something in between $200 to $300. What do you guys recommend? Thanks in advance for the help

2. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I would definitely start with a Dell. Great price for pretty good monitors.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Agreed. Dell or hp have good monitors for the price and there's usually a coupon code or hot sale on.

4. Grimbo macrumors member

5. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I'd buy a cheap, quality TN panel and wait for the 24" IPS monitors to drop in price in a few years.

Try the Samsung T240

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Your budget might make it difficult, but in general you cannot go wrong with Dell or HP.

7. edwardlanti thread starter macrumors regular

Well this looks very nice and it compliments the macbook very good :). Any feedback on this monitor?

8. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

HP 2009M, newest model.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Dell or HP or Sony

Dell or HP are good for their price. Or you can get an old Sony flatscreen. I used to have one with m old ibook G3, it was cool (and cheap)!:D

10. dubcat macrumors newbie

I'm going to get a Dell u2410. Its a new IPS panel they launched.

11. pfealey macrumors member

I have the Dell 2209wa. It's a fantastic monitor for the price, and I think it fits into your price-range. (I'm in sterling, so not sure of the conversion off the top of my head - I paid £215 for mine from eBuyer.com)

It has a 22" Screen, and more importantly, an 'IPS' panel, which gives better colour reproduction and IMHO a sharper, clearer image in general. Also rotates to portrait mode if required and as well as tilting in all directions, you can raise or lower the height of the screen to suit your eyeline.

Comes with DVI & VGA Inputs, and the MiniDP to DVI adaptor can be had for < $15 on ebay, and some other US only site whose name escapes me.

Usefully, for your MacBook which has only 2 USB ports, it has a powered 4 Port USB hub built in for your peripheral devices - however if you put the monitor into standby, it will power down the USB devices too. My External HD found this out the hard way..!

12. brendu macrumors 68020

so i just picked up the dell S2409W at BB for $229 which seems like a good deal since its 24" and the screen is absolutely beautiful.. Realllly happy with this purchase..

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I've been very happy with the HP w2408h I purchased new off the clearance rack at the base PX = it was miss marked at $249 so I scooped it up (I wouldn't have gotten it if it had been marked for the $349 that all the others were that it was sitting next to)...

Yes, I know there were less expensive monitors out there (at that time) but with the extra shipping cost via USPS to a military base addy, this was the best option and even though its a TN panel, it looks and sounds good.

I also like the adjustable stand as many of the newer monitors don't go up/down, they just seem to tilt...

14. karatekidk macrumors regular

I'd say get a Dell 2209WA and look no further. I am sure many people agree that's the best bang for the buck. I use it with my mbp 13" and am thoroughly satisfied. Sure, it would be nice to have a good 24" monitor, but with that price ($285, I believe, though I bought it for somewhere around $225 with a coupon...) there is absolutely no complaints. Just make sure you get a mini-display port to DVI adapter, not VGA.